Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2008, 06:47 PM

Tonks' allergy bumps.

Well Tonks is still getting allergy bumps, usually after walks, and recently started chewing her feet.

We went back to the vets today and, as she is feet chewing, we took the ingredients list of her food. The good news is that the vet was very happy with her food and said that it was an excellent diet, but it does have protein and carbs from a number of sourse including chicken, beef and lamb so she could be allergic to anyone of those.

He is pretty sure it is contact dermatitis to something in long grasses but would rather rule out food allergies completely. I agree with this as i can't see the point in moving on to treating the outcome if i may be inadvertenly feeding her something she is allergic to.

He did skin scraps today and there is no sign of demodex or other mites, which is great, but he did say that all of the hairs had been traumatised from scratching.

She is now moving to royal canin sensitivity control, which only has one type of fish and tapioca in it, so that we can see if there is any improvement in her condition.

Luckily she is insured, but Petplan will not pay for the food, never mind though, so when she has alergy testing later all of that can be paid for by the insurance.

It's very frustrating because i would say she was midly itching rather than serious itching but she is definately becoming itchier so i want to find a reason once and for all.

She had some Royal Canin tonight and absolutly loved it, lucky really as she will be having that and water exclusively for the next 6 weeks! it will be hard to police on saturdays when the children are with us, but I'm sure we will manage!
I've saved some money by buying it on line.
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2008, 09:30 AM
poor baby, hope she's better soon. After she's finished the Royal Canin sensitivity food if you're looking for a different food I found Wafcol Salmon and Potato really good for allergies
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Toro didn't tolorate the fish types very well at all, antihistamines sort out her bumps when shes picked something up from the woods I get Tavigil from the vets, some times when they chew their feet its because some thing else is bothering them, Toro was at her feet when she was having her wee phantom I think it was because she didn't understand what was going on so took it out on her feet...hope Tonks is better soon xx
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Thank you for your advice, i will keep it in mind. We did try antihistamines with Tonks but it didn't really have any effect.

We shall see how the food trials go, i will be very suprised it is the food as in general she is fine, with firm non smelly poos (which is nice ) and she only only had one lot of diarrhoea when, as a small puppy, she ate half a toadstool in my friends garden.

I will keep you posted!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2008, 01:09 PM
I hope you manage to get it sorted - it must be really frustrating for you both.

I wonder if it could be a grass allergy though if she is getting itcher, as I would have thought an allergy to grass would really show itself in summer, rather than coming up to winter? Just a thought.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2008, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I hope you manage to get it sorted - it must be really frustrating for you both.

I wonder if it could be a grass allergy though if she is getting itcher, as I would have thought an allergy to grass would really show itself in summer, rather than coming up to winter? Just a thought.
Yep you would have thought that it would be getting better if it was grass, but i think, because she is only ten months old, that allergies can set off contact dermatitis which can then carry on getting worse as the puppy grows. I think that is what the vet was saying.
monkeydonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-11-2008, 11:02 PM
Don't have any advice but i really hope Tonks is feeling better as soon as possible. Hope the new food does the trick
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2008, 11:08 PM
Thank you Monkey Donkey. She seems fine in herself, her usual happy self......just itchy!

Food hasn't arrived yet. One of my friends has just pointed out that she won't be able to have any Christmas treats or turkey! Poor little Tonks, it will be her first Christmas as well!
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2008, 07:16 AM
I think it is more likely to be food related. The Royal Canin may or may not prove this tho, as at the end of the day it is still a processed food.

I'd be interested to see the list of ingredients if you can point me in the right direction?

Other things to consider - homeopathy, neem leaf powder sprinkled on food and neem oil baths.

For temporary relief a 50/50 dilution of Apple Cider Vinegar with water, with Aloe Vera juice added and/or witch hazel added, put in a spray bottle, or as a rinse.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 07:20 AM
Poor Tonks. Hope you get it sorted out soon, Catrin

x0x
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >