Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2005, 06:10 PM

Advice on grooming a spayed CKCS.

what a nightmare this coat has become...........

ok since sophie has been speyed her coat is just grown soooooo thick I'm not sure what to do with it??

She isn't moulting as all and its so thick should i strip ? use a coat king ?
or shave the whole lot off ( joke )

any idea's how to keep this under control or just let her to go to a sheep hurd
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-07-2005, 06:20 PM
Hi Inca, I would be interested in the answer to this too.

Kitty, an American Cocker in full show coat, had to be emergency spayed two weeks ago while five week in whelp. I would love to think that I can maintain the glorious coat, and keep her in the ring. However I know it's a long shot.

Meanwhile she's getting Evening Primrose oil, Cod Liver Oil and Sardines in sunflower oil twice a week. I'm putting Coconut conditioner on her on bath days and then spraying a moisturising leave in cnditioner onto the wet hair. If the coat still goes wild after all that, then I'm stumped.

Dawn R.
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2005, 06:24 PM
I have heard that Evening Primrose is good. Also I use a Mars coat king on my spayed setter, and that takes out all the dead and excess hair. Potter loves it! You have to be careful because it takes out good as well as dead coat, but it does the trick!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2005, 06:34 PM
i do have a coat king but i don't want to make her coat curly by over doing it .......the coat is in great condition just lots of it no sheep farm then LOL
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-07-2005, 07:01 PM
Inca have you tried removing the soft undecoat with a chalkblock and very fine toothed metal comb? I have used this on cockers and a friends cavs, The chalkblock makes the comb grip the hair and the fluff comes out at the roots so you are thinning the coat and not cutting it ,the comb must be very fine and you need to brush the chalk out afterwards with a soft bristle brush.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2005, 07:10 PM
ok never heard of that ..where do i buy a chalk block ?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-07-2005, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Inca
ok never heard of that ..where do i buy a chalk block ?
Inca I always got them off the stands at dog shows, we use chalk on Schnauzers legs at shows, you can also get them on the net if you put it in Google, the teeth of the comb must be almost touching,the sort with a handle..you can get those on the net too

http://www.denbar-uk-ltd.co.uk/acata...Helper_26.html

Inca its the 6th one down, it says suitable for hand stripping..you need a hard one not too soft.

at the bottom of this page are some extra fine combs with a handle ...no 73, I can't tell from the picture but think that is the one fourh along from the left http://www.denbar-uk-ltd.co.uk/acata...pratts_61.html
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2005, 07:26 PM
ta mini ...off to look now xxxx
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2005, 09:36 PM
I'm having the same problems with Rosie's coat since her spaying, she always had a very fine silk like coat, never found any tangles or knots.....but not any more she now looks like a woolly sheep! Even her ears are thick and double the size...........absolute nightmare!!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2005, 04:13 PM
Are you showing her? Have no idea if you need to keep the coat in show trim but if not you could try a mat splitter or thinning scissors. Not had to deal with it in a CKCS but have in a Newfie, and it was impossible to use clippers because the undercoat was so thick it was like felt, had to use mat splitter before I could even get the scissors in, she was not a pretty sight but she was much happier once it was sorted.

Alternatively if it is really bad the vet may give you HRT for her to help sort things out and hopefully it may settle down to at least be manageable.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »