Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2008, 06:22 PM

Anyone Else Effected/

Every day, every day, without fail, between 4pm and 7pm, I get an automated phone call in an American accent saying " Congratulations, you have won............" it is at this stage that I ring off! Maybe I should listen to what I have won, but it is obviously some sort of scam and I am cheesed off with it.
I am on TPS which I don't think covers competitions which is probably how they are getting around it.
Anyone else being bothered with this? What can I do about it?
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2008, 06:23 PM
I get it as well, I think it is a holiday to Mexico. I dont know how to stop it though.

V. annoying
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Hang up immediately - don't listen!
Some of these phone scams connect you to a premium rate number the minute you pick the phone up.
Do you get anything when you try to get the caller's number on 1471? If you do, then report it to your phone provider - they can stop it.
However, if the caller's number is witheld, you've had it.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-10-2008, 06:27 PM
OH tells me it is a cruise He got the whole lot on his a/p the other night.
Unless I recognise the number I never answer my homephone these days, it is always without fail a foreign call centre or some sort of recorded message. If someone wants me, they can text me, msn me or e mail me. If they don't have my mobile, msn or e mail then they are not a friend anyway.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2008, 06:39 PM
I have had a few.... the last one was a couple of nights ago.. it started with a fog horn going off...then this voice said the captain of the ship.....bla you have won.. bla.. click.. hang up phone...
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2008, 06:41 PM
First of all I don't want to go to Mexico
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Hang up immediately - don't listen!
Some of these phone scams connect you to a premium rate number the minute you pick the phone up.
Do you get anything when you try to get the caller's number on 1471? If you do, then report it to your phone provider - they can stop it.
However, if the caller's number is witheld, you've had it.
Thanks Vicki this is why I have never found out what I have won cos I don't stay on the line long enough
1471 reveals "we do not have the callers number" which I think might indicate that it originates from abroad.
I think I have had it

Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
OH tells me it is a cruise He got the whole lot on his a/p the other night.
Unless I recognise the number I never answer my homephone these days, it is always without fail a foreign call centre or some sort of recorded message. If someone wants me, they can text me, msn me or e mail me. If they don't have my mobile, msn or e mail then they are not a friend anyway.
Thats how I feel so I am going to have to get caller ID on the phone............mmmm how do you do that?
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2008, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I have had a few.... the last one was a couple of nights ago.. it started with a fog horn going off...then this voice said the captain of the ship.....bla you have won.. bla.. click.. hang up phone...
Lol Shona, thats even worse
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

22-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
I am on TPS which I don't think covers competitions which is probably how they are getting around it.
Jenny what is TPS We used to be ex-directory, is it the same thing

Anyway, definately a scam so put the phone down immediately and in UK it's probably best to not use the landline for incomming. Just give people the mobile or e-mail.

These things are starting here, the locals are somewhat naive and easy pickings, one (aimed at pensioners) says you have won a prize and all you need to do is attend a meeting, the laugh is that since few pensioners here have cars they have to catch a bus at 5am to get to the venue.

I wouldn't get up at 5am if you offered me a thousand pounds, in cash, in advance, let alone to attend some high pressure sales meeting
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2008, 09:59 PM
I'm on TPS but still get them, usually they start with the foghorn of a ship to say I have won a cruise.

One of my lady's who had dementia would often be found oustide waiting for these prizes to be delivered.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2008, 10:03 PM
AHHHHHH......we have good days and bad days!

the other day....monday I think...it was horrendous - every 15 mins or so!
We always hang up almost instantly.....and if I hear a ringing tone the phone is back on the hook before you can wink!

We did call the BT line that is meant to block those numbers - it has worked for a while.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >