Our sister sites
Our sister sites
htar
New Member!
Male 

29-12-2008, 07:27 PM

blood in poo

Hi guys,

Ive a new pup called fred, we've had him for just over a week, he's a 4 month old pomiranian spitz, Ive noticed today that hes got runny poo and what seems like a little blood in it. To be honest its not really like thick red blood more like the watery bit you get when you pour out your ketchup if you dont shake the bottle. He's not off his food and has bags of exercise for his off the lead walks in the park, anyone had anything similar with their dog, think I should get off to the vet? He's given a quality food and plenty of water.
Big thanks

Nick
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Has he been wormed recently??
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2008, 07:32 PM
Is he vaccinated ?
htar
New Member!
Male 

29-12-2008, 07:35 PM
Yes he's both been vaccinated and wormed, he's due for another dose of worming on the 3rd of Jan.
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Something as irritated his stomache or gut, could he have got hold of any thing over christmas that he shouldnt have eaten, even a small piece of plastic off a toy could be enough.
He could have also picked up an infection, observe and see how he is tomorrow if no better get him checked over.
htar
New Member!
Male 

29-12-2008, 07:42 PM
big thanks for the advice, i'll keep a check on him tonight and tomorrow and if there's no change I'll get him down to the vets,
thanks again.
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-12-2008, 07:46 PM
There can be several reasons for blood in faeces of pups.
1. worms - pups should be wormed at 6,8,10,12 weeks then monthly till 6 mths then every 3 mths.
2. Gastro intestinal upset - the sudden change of diet can be enough to cause collitus in pups and older dogs - usually u see fresh blood with lots of mucous around the faeces. Try starving pup for 24 hours then give boiled chicken and rice (no skin or bone) then slowly reintroduce normal food.
3. Other irritation to gut eg toxin, foreign body. This is usually dark blood.
Generally if its light red blood its lower bowel.
There are other more serious reasons to... so (I would personally) call your vet and make an appointment to put you mind at rest.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2008, 07:48 PM
I had a GSP pup about 12 years ago that had diarrhoea with blood in at about 10 weeks of age. We discovered it was her food that didn't agree with her, so by trial and error found a brand (Eukanuba puppy) that didn't cause her any more problems.
htar
New Member!
Male 

29-12-2008, 08:06 PM
I'm giving fred Eukanuba puppy mixed with butchers puppy wet, I may stop the wet food and just carry on with the Eukanuba dry, I'll also go and see the vet tomorrow,
thanks all