View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2006, 05:12 PM

Anyone use a Talk Talk modem for broadband - help needed please.

Right I have just came back from my next door neighbours house - she has been connected to talk talk broadband for a few weeks now but can't get on it. She has phoned their helpline but they wasn't much use to her and they said they would phone her back but didn't.

Here is what is happening when you try to connect to the internet it says Opening port error 680 - there was no dial tone and there are two green lights on the speedtouch modem - the USB light is green and stays on all the time but the ASDL light which is also green keeps flashing and then it stops for a bit and then flashes again when you try to connect. We can't for the life of us think what is wrong with it because it did very briefly connect but then disconnected again so I don't think it is at Talk Talks end but something to do with the connections but haven't a clue what cos the talk talk filter is plugged into the phone socket and then their telephone is plugged into the telephone bit and the modem is plugged into the other hole and then the other wire for the modem is plugged directly in the back of the computer.

Anybody any ideas please?
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-06-2006, 05:25 PM
If they have sky -check the sky is plugged behind a filter
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2006, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by Murphy
If they have sky -check the sky is plugged behind a filter

Yes I think they do have sky - how do you plug it behind the filter then?
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

29-06-2006, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Yes I think they do have sky - how do you plug it behind the filter then?
right, tell them to unplug everythin on all their phone lines and i mena everythign so nothign is connected to any phone sockets then plug in one filter and the modem and see if the adsl stops flashing.

if tis flashing the it means the line sint syncronised so there is an error on the line either caused by having somethign like the sky plugged in and not through a filter or an error with bt or talk talk.

if after trying just the modem plugged in by the filter and ti still flashes its nto your error and talk talk need to sort it.

however if it stops flashign and she cna connect then its due to have a dodgy connection i nehr hosue, ie somehting connected wiithout a filter.

in this case iwoudl suspect the sky box, so unplug it unless you have a seocond filter to use.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2006, 05:39 PM
Thanks for that Ceiron

I am wondering if they have another phone extension - I seem to think they do - could this make a difference if they haven't put a phone filter on it or do you not think it would make any difference. And does the sky box need a filter on too?
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

29-06-2006, 06:04 PM
Thanks for that Ceiron

I am wondering if they have another phone extension - I seem to think they do - could this make a difference if they haven't put a phone filter on it or do you not think it would make any difference. And does the sky box need a filter on too?
yes it will ****** the whole thign up, the sky needs a filter as do any other extnions, without them they interrupt the adsl signal.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2006, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by ceiron
yes it will ****** the whole thign up, the sky needs a filter as do any other extnions, without them they interrupt the adsl signal.

Ohhh thanks for that Ceiron - they will be over the moon if it works cos she feels like throwing the computer out of the window at the moment both her and her hubby has had enough of it
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2006, 07:03 PM
Right I printed out what you said Ceiron and gave it to them just now - I asked about Sky but they don't have it anymore, just have the dish outside. They do however have a 2nd phone extension upstairs I think and they didn't put a filter on it - do you think this could be the problem?
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

29-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Right I printed out what you said Ceiron and gave it to them just now - I asked about Sky but they don't have it anymore, just have the dish outside. They do however have a 2nd phone extension upstairs I think and they didn't put a filter on it - do you think this could be the problem?
if theres a phone pluggedinto it then es.

tel lthem to put a filter on it.

or unplug the phoen
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by ceiron
if theres a phone pluggedinto it then es.

tel lthem to put a filter on it.

or unplug the phoen
Guess what Ceiron?

IT WORKED You are so clever I could kiss you
I gave the printout to her hubby and he went inside and within ten minutes they were out again and said it connected right away so thanks ever so much
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >