View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2009, 12:36 PM
I agree with the lua breeding, Dallies should be allowed to have full lives, deafness isn't life threatening, the others problems can be. I would rather a deaf, healthy lua than a 'pure' dally dying from preventable problems.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2009, 01:48 PM
I can see that the dogs in the two pics look different to one another ref their spotting but quite frankly I wouldn't have thought anything much of it. I would be interested to see more pics of the different 'breeding', compared to the 'traditional' bred dogs. I wonder if there is a difference in the majority of the dogs. I, for one, would certainly choose health over 'tradition'.
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2009, 03:38 PM
I just googled lua dalmations and the top hit was an american site looked at the pics and wanted to know if people who know dallies think these look like real dals. I think they look pretty close to the real thing (the ones ive seen anyway)
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

rubylover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-10-2009, 07:01 PM
It appears that the KC is about to endorse the registrations of two LUA Dalmations.

http://dogworld.co.uk/News/43-dal

"THE KENNEL Club has said it is ‘minded’ to accept the controversial application to register two Dalmatians with a Pointer in their pedigree.

But before they are, they will be examined by championship show judges.

Although the breed clubs will be consulted, their views will be sought only on health and welfare aspects of registering the dogs."
annspot80
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-11-2009, 04:06 PM
hello all. I have just acquired a dalmatian, who is kc registered, hearing tested, the lot.
I am all for having a healthy dog, but i don't like the idea of crossing this breed to erradicate the problems. It just wont be a full dalmatian, and i would not have a cross bred dog.
Aslong as we have good breeders around, who only breed from good stock, hopefully some of the problems may dissappear.
I love this breed faults and all, a dalmatian should stay a dalmatian.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by annspot80 View Post
hello all. I have just acquired a dalmatian, who is kc registered, hearing tested, the lot.
I am all for having a healthy dog, but i don't like the idea of crossing this breed to erradicate the problems. It just wont be a full dalmatian, and i would not have a cross bred dog.
Aslong as we have good breeders around, who only breed from good stock, hopefully some of the problems may dissappear.
whats so wrong with having a cross?

i would choose a healthy dog, over a 'full' breed dog with health problems (actual or potential) any day.
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by annspot80 View Post
Even if those faults cause the dog pain and distress?
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2009, 06:08 AM
in the end debates such as this will be irrelevant as even if the KC DO register the Lua ( and it seems likely they will ) without the breed clubs and breeders acceptance they will NOT be used and will have zero impact on the health of the breed - whats the old adage ? " you can take a horse to water but you cannot make it drink ! "

to achieve anything you MUST take those who actually do the breeding along with you not try and bully them into it !
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2009, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by bijou View Post
in the end debates such as this will be irrelevant as even if the KC DO register the Lua ( and it seems likely they will ) without the breed clubs and breeders acceptance they will NOT be used and will have zero impact on the health of the breed - whats the old adage ? " you can take a horse to water but you cannot make it drink ! "

to achieve anything you MUST take those who actually do the breeding along with you not try and bully them into it !
I disagree with this, by allowing the imported dogs to be KC reg they are sending a message that they feel the crosses are now so far removed as to be classed as Dallies. This means the pups can be KC reg and will help puppy buyers to feel more confident in getting a pup from them.

This is what will help decide it in the end, us pet owners who buy puppies. If this kennell has a huge waiting list and is selling their puppies other breeders will notice this. Esp if they have trouble selling theres, after all not all dogs are going to make it to the show ring. Given the choice i know which dog i would pick and that would be the healthy one.
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »