Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jenq2006
New Member!
Female 

13-01-2010, 08:54 PM

Puppy Peeing

Hi Please help I have a 4 month old chi/Jack, He isn't to bad but his toilet training is getting a bit much, he is still doing his business on the paper although he is going outside, he seems to pee again 5 minutes later after being out and can pee every 5 minutes all night sometimes. Also even when he goes to toilet last thing at night he still insists on getting out of his crate twice in the night. How can I fix these problems I have ran out of ideas. Thanks
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by jenq2006 View Post
Hi Please help I have a 4 month old chi/Jack, He isn't to bad but his toilet training is getting a bit much, he is still doing his business on the paper although he is going outside, he seems to pee again 5 minutes later after being out and can pee every 5 minutes all night sometimes. Also even when he goes to toilet last thing at night he still insists on getting out of his crate twice in the night. How can I fix these problems I have ran out of ideas. Thanks
He's still a baby, Dizzy took until she was 6 months!! A more experienced member will be along to put some useful links on for you in a mo! All sounds pretty normal though just got to be patient I think

Good luck
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Most of out puppies are reliable over night by 2 months. Have you asked the vet about a UTI? He may need more activity to stimulate his body to completely empty his bladder before going to bed. Take it out on leash. Walk around. They can only walk and hold it so long. When it finally has to go, lavish praise on it.

If it has more room than he needs to stretch out in, block off part of it. That will reduce his activity allowing him to go longer.

On another thread somebody asked why anybody would want to extend the time a dog can go without relieving itself. Maybe they see getting up twice every night for months as OK.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 11:11 PM
Please ignore labman.his views are not respected by UK members of the forum. They are extreme and unkind to the pups.

15 weeks is still young, he will settle down.

Try extending the time he has to wait during the night by a few minutes.

Make sure he HAS access to water at all times, sometimes depriving the puphas the opposite effect to the one you are trying to achieve.

Put the weeing on cue by saying the word WHILE he is weeing then rewarding him. Don't use the word unless he is actually weeing until you think he is beginning to understand it.

Dump the paper and use outdoors always, it is less confusing for them.

rune
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Hi

Firstly, ditch the paper or pads or whatever you are using. I take it you are putting paper/pads down by the back door or similar? definitely remove them. Dogs don't generalize well, so your pup won't understand why he is allowed to wee and poo in one area of the house and not in others. I know of one dog whos owner used pads for him as a pup and he would persistently wee on everything soft; sofas, beds, pillows, etc. In his mind they were no different to the pads it took a LONG time to break the pup of this habit.

Second, are you sure he is going every 5 minutes or does it just seem like every 5 minutes? big difference.

There is no magic trick to toilet training really. Every dog is different. Some pups pick it up straight away, others take MONTHS. My Yorkie is 9 months or so and she is only now at the stage where she is reliable. 9 months, and I did everything by the book. By contrast most of my larger breeds past and presence were clean by 4 months.

Some breeds tend to be more challenging to toilet train and toy breeds are often one of them.

Just keep taking your pup out after every time he moves around for longer than a few minutes (basically, after any kind of activity), after waking, after eating and drinking and you'll get there eventually. I also like to train my dogs to understand the word "outside". Every time I would pick them and take them into the garden, I would say "outside". Eventually they learned to associate the word with going outside and trot towards the door when I gave the word.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-01-2010, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by jenq2006 View Post
Hi Jenkq is there some reason you are putting paper down. Putting paper down is encouraging your puppy to soil in the house and will confuse him .

At four months your puppy will only just be starting to get a little control over his bodily functions.
He really needs taking out at times when he is most likely to want to relive himself then given lots of praise when he does so that he learns what is expected of him.
This means taking him out first thing in the morning/last thing at night/after sleep/excitement/when he sniffs the ground and circles and about once every hour to begin with.

It may help to take him a short walk to an area frequented by other dogs particularly last thing at night, a little exercise and the scent of other dogs will stimulate him to eliminate.
If you are consistent and patient your puppy should get the idea quite quickly.

As Rune points out you can also teach your puppy to eliminate on command by adding a prompt word like 'beclean' when he is in the middle of going so that he associates the word with the action, then the moment he finishes give lots of praise and maybe treat to begin with.
Once this has been taught you can use the word to prompt your puppy to relieve himself.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2010, 12:55 AM
Definitely remove the pads/paper. It will confuse him. You will have accidents of course but when you do, get some spray to neutralise the smell so she doesn't see that palce as her wee place. When you think she's gonna pee, gently encourage her to go outside and reward her with praise and a treat.
Also use a word to recognise. For instance my dogs know "wee wee" and go staright to the back door!
Have you tried to feed her in her crate? They generally hate to go where you feed them so this may discourage her.
If you have some time off to spend intensively training her then try to do this. Start hourly during the day and then 2 hourly etc until you get to a few hours. She will learn..it just takes time. Good luck xx
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-01-2010, 03:13 AM
Yes, ignore the one that has more experience and training than the rest put together.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Yes, ignore the one that has more experience and training than the rest put together.
What, the one that looks more like an ignorant, arrogant, tit every time he posts?
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-01-2010, 11:34 AM
[QUOTE=Labman;1867211]Yes, ignore the one that has more experience and training than the rest put together.[/QU

Dream on.