View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 11:55 AM
Yes, I know, it's been a right pain, especially with no car toboot She was very ill after her spey, didn't eat much for 3 weeks so got quite skinny, but thankfully, because of the 4 meals I think I can now go back to my 3 (I like 3 with these big dogs, always have done 3).

My normal routine is walked at 7.30, back by 8.30 and fed at 9, or maybe 9.15. 2nd walk is always 2 hours after that, so 11.30 usually, back at 12.30, fed at 1.00 if breathing is back to normal, and then that's it, they don't get another walk unless it's summer and I go out again in the evenings. So their tea is 5.00 pm. and then just half a cup of kibble at 8pm coz Zena has been feeling very, very hungry in the evenings, so I'd rather give her a meal than stuff her with bonio's or markies or fish sticks.

I think you're right Shona, now that she's spot on weightwise, I'd better resort back to 3, and eventually, when she's 18 months and stopped growing I'll go down to 2 I think.

The problem I've had is throughout this whole year with her, she has missed so many feeds what with this, that and t'other, I have to think of the growing process so that she can catch up, and I know it's all slowed down now, but if she's hungry and will eat more, then she'll get more. Lilypup will tell you, when she saw her after that spey she looked like a hat rack! Glad to say she's filling out nicely now though, but STILL nice and lean, I would never, ever let her get overweight. Can still feel those rips and when she's lying on her side, there is a definite slump after the ribcage (which is more than can be said for George!)
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-01-2010, 12:03 PM
I personally wait about 1hr 30 mins after dinner before I take my boy out for walkies after his dinner.
Cant wait to take the beauties out in the snow?

Glad zena is back to herself after her op...give em both a big fuss from me!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Yes, I know, it's been a right pain, especially with no car toboot She was very ill after her spey, didn't eat much for 3 weeks so got quite skinny, but thankfully, because of the 4 meals I think I can now go back to my 3 (I like 3 with these big dogs, always have done 3).

My normal routine is walked at 7.30, back by 8.30 and fed at 9, or maybe 9.15. 2nd walk is always 2 hours after that, so 11.30 usually, back at 12.30, fed at 1.00 if breathing is back to normal, and then that's it, they don't get another walk unless it's summer and I go out again in the evenings. So their tea is 5.00 pm. and then just half a cup of kibble at 8pm coz Zena has been feeling very, very hungry in the evenings, so I'd rather give her a meal than stuff her with bonio's or markies or fish sticks.

I think you're right Shona, now that she's spot on weightwise, I'd better resort back to 3, and eventually, when she's 18 months and stopped growing I'll go down to 2 I think.

The problem I've had is throughout this whole year with her, she has missed so many feeds what with this, that and t'other, I have to think of the growing process so that she can catch up, and I know it's all slowed down now, but if she's hungry and will eat more, then she'll get more. Lilypup will tell you, when she saw her after that spey she looked like a hat rack! Glad to say she's filling out nicely now though, but STILL nice and lean, I would never, ever let her get overweight. Can still feel those rips and when she's lying on her side, there is a definite slump after the ribcage (which is more than can be said for George!)
try to stick to the hour rule for feeding after walks as well as before, I know its hard but feeding to soon after a walk is as dangerous as feeding to soon before,

glad shes put some weight back on, gsd's look terrible if they are really underweight, it can take them a bit longer than say "my rotties" to put condition back on, bless her.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Thanks hades

Thanks Shona, I'll do the hour after a walk now then, coz I always went on 30 mins for AFTER, but maybe it'll be better. I suppose the only reason I'm desperate to feed them is to make that next walk before MY Lunch I suppose! Lol! Another rule I stick by is to always leave it 3 hours inbetween each feed, so what with that, then the waiting, then the walk itself it's getting a bit of a nightmare, good job I don't work as well!
Double Trouble
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-01-2010, 10:48 PM
I leave it atleast an hour either side, having deep chested dogs always have the dreaded bloat in to think of. An having suffered it twice not something I want to have to go though again.
annspot80
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-01-2010, 10:32 AM
i always feed mine after he has his exercise, so he builds up an appetite, then when he has eaten, he will normally sleep and so lets his food settle down. I have had no problems with him.
Double Trouble
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-02-2010, 07:40 AM
I leave at least an hour, having deep chested dogs better safe then sorry!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 08:57 AM
I give it an hour. I don't worry about before, I reckon they are geared up to catch and eat immediately.

My GSD got bloat after I had been away the W/E, she hadn't had any walk or food except a rawhide chew she nicked from one of Tassles dogs. It was about 10 at night. She was 11.

rune
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I give it an hour. I don't worry about before, I reckon they are geared up to catch and eat immediately.

My GSD got bloat after I had been away the W/E, she hadn't had any walk or food except a rawhide chew she nicked from one of Tassles dogs. It was about 10 at night. She was 11.

rune
do you mean that you will feed your dogs fairly quickly after exercise? Im a bit confused about the 'I dont worry about before' sorry its early in the morning and I am not quite with it?
macapaca
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-02-2010, 10:07 PM
I always feed big meals at least an hour after exercise
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >