Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Heartworm prevention
None 14 66.67%
Monthly tablet 3 14.29%
Yearly Injection 0 0%
Other, please explain on thread 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Shrap
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-11-2011, 02:04 AM
I thought lungworm was heartworm? i.e. the heartworm you guys get over there is french heartworm

It's in the heart but when gets to massive clumps of them and it gets dislodged, it moves to the lung and causes respiratory failure?

If it is that then I don't treat for it because I've not heard of any cases nearby, and neither has the vet receptionist. I may alternate between advocate and drontal for worming to be on the safe side.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 04:10 AM
Heartworm and lungworm are completely different. Lungworm is transmitted by Slugs, heartworm is transmitted by mosquitoes. Heartworms live in the heart, but can cause damage to the lung. Lungworm does not effect the heart.
Shrap
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-11-2011, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
Heartworm and lungworm are completely different. Lungworm is transmitted by Slugs, heartworm is transmitted by mosquitoes. Heartworms live in the heart, but can cause damage to the lung. Lungworm does not effect the heart.
Ah. I did know that about the Mosquitos and slugs lmao! Lungworm does live in the heart though!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2