Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dave2003
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2013, 06:58 PM

Advice on protective dog boots size etc

poor dave the collie has ripped skin off the back of his front pad, it is currently dressed with a bit of everything.
clean and no signs of infection, however i need advice on a boot.
his measurements are from nail to back of pad- 3 inches
width 2.5 inches

there are lots on the market but there are hardly any measurements attached to them, does anyone have any suggestions please thanku x
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2013, 08:50 PM
How about these: http://canineconcepts.co.uk/en/dog-b...2-x-boots.html I hope the link works, but if not just go on to the canine concepts website. Lots of different boots which explain exactly how to 'size' you dogs paws for them.

Have you tried your vets as ours sell boots and at least they would be able to fit Dave with the correct size.

Good luck and I hope they heal very quickly. Keep us informed.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Poor Dave - I can sympathise with pad and paw troubles because Jimmi is plagued with them.

I will be interested to hear what you find and how you get on with your choice because I have had problems finding a boot that not only fits AND stays on, but which is also acceptable to the dog! i.e. that they are comfortable to walk in them.

I spent quite a lot of money buying boots that were supposedly foolproof, but within minutes they were sliding down and flapping around at the end of the paws. The ones in question were made in nylon with leather soles and toes; they were secured by two strips of velcro around the leg. They were nice and light, but maybe due to Jimmi's little terrier legs and long toes they just never stayed put. It's possible that with a Collie and the different conformation of foot and leg, they might work well.

The only boots that I use now are Pawz rubber disposables, which are absolutely brilliant for staying put. I only use them for protecting the pads when there already is a problem, and not for prevention because obviously being rubber and waterproof they make the paws sweat. If you buy these for over dressings, then you have to go for a much larger size than usual to accommodate the dressing.
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2013, 09:35 PM
Aww, poor Dave

Have you seen these?
http://www.innerwolf.co.uk/browse-by...dog-boots.html
I haven't used them, so have no idea what they are like, but they aren't mega expensive and there is a size guide
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2013, 02:54 AM
This is tried and true (by me) as a temporary measure, cheap and repeatable, a homemade boot. You will need:
1 sock
Duct tape, or other similar waterproof, tough tape
A stretchy ace bandage
Something about the size of your dog's foot to be a model-- for yours, if you can co-opt a kid to make a fist with fingers out to the first finger joints then folded in, that might be perfect. That shape fist is almost a perfect paw shape. If you don't have a kid to help, try to find something of a similar shape.

Method:
First, make sure your model is a good fit for your dog. You don't want it too tight. A little loose is best.

Put the sock on your model. Now wind the tape, not tightly, but right around, to make a firm boot around the sock. Cock the wrist slightly to make an ankle, if a kid is helping. Wind a bit extra around the toe. You might want to stuff it after the model has gone round for ice cream, just to be able to reinforce it a lot-- dogs wearing boots always, always drag the toe and it wears away quickly. Reinforce the sole with more tape.

Unstuff your reinforced sock and try it out. You'll want it loose. Secure your dog's injury with a wrapping of dry gauze. If it fits, slip it on and fasten it by wrapping the stretchy bandage around the sock, going in the usual criss-cross pattern around the leg. You can fasten it pretty tightly so that the boot won't slip, as the bandage will stretch, but be sure to leave room for blood to pump normally. If the sock goes halfway up their leg and you can secure a stretchy bandage, that will help it not falling off or dragging and tripping them up. It's much more comfortable than a vice grip around their ankle.

Notes: this is NOT breathable, so not to be worn full time, only for walks! Remove it when you're back home.

If you've got a gunky injury or are worried about moisture, you can tuck some cotton wool between your dog's toes.

Sources: I made this up myself. It worked for me. I hope it works for you!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2013, 07:07 AM
I've tried a variety of boots over the years, snow boots, medical boots, etc. they've all flown off during a walk, whereas the Pawz boots seem to do the job and stay put.

I always put a padding of some sort on the injured pad first underneath a baby sock, and I make sure the sock comes above the Pawz boot so that I can roll it over. My method has never failed yet, but I only do this on walks, indoors it's just a dressing, a baby sock, and vetwrap bandage to hold it in place. I swear by that vetwrap bandage for paw injuries cos it sticks to itself, so easy to use.

Good luck, as long as you keep it very clean and let the air get to it when indoors, hopefully you won't get it infected.
dave2003
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-11-2013, 01:46 AM
thanks everyone wound is still clean and has began to scab over, i'll let u know what if any boots fit.
strangechilde i'll have a go when more awake!
dave2003
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-12-2013, 02:42 AM
well i went for pawz in the end had a dry run and they seem to fit, initial wound is clean and free from infection. looks like baby skin underneath! so they'll be used when all frosty again.
thanks again for advice