Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kiwijan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-09-2007, 12:30 PM

Puppy Moving Abroad - Advice Please

We have a friend who lives in Iceland who wants a Jack Russell puppy for his family - apparently they are very hard to come by over there which is why he has asked us to choose one from the UK. Can anybody point me in the right direction for information regarding:

(a) what age would the puppy have to be before being taken to Iceland;
(b) how we could arrange the transportation etc.

There is a quarantine period of 5 weeks upon arrival. I've looked on the Defra website but it doesn't give any information - only on bringing animals into the UK.

Many thanks.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2007, 01:22 PM
You would need to contact the Icelandic Embassy to find out what the requirements are for exporting to Iceland.
Becky
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2007, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by kiwijan View Post
We have a friend who lives in Iceland who wants a Jack Russell puppy for his family - apparently they are very hard to come by over there which is why he has asked us to choose one from the UK. Can anybody point me in the right direction for information regarding:

(a) what age would the puppy have to be before being taken to Iceland;
(b) how we could arrange the transportation etc.

There is a quarantine period of 5 weeks upon arrival. I've looked on the Defra website but it doesn't give any information - only on bringing animals into the UK.

Many thanks.
Speak to your vet, if he is clued up then he should have all the procedures for exporting to another country.
Also if you can't find the info on the DEFRA website, call as they DO have all the export info. I wouldn't know for Iceland to be honest. Some countries are straight forward if they come under the pet passport, others are more complicated and involve quarantine over here before being exported.
kiwijan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-09-2007, 01:52 PM
Thanks for that info (and Becky's). I'll have a look at Iceland's equivalent of DEFRA. My biggest fear is that we will be looking after the puppy until its ready to go and won't want to say goodbye!
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2007, 02:24 PM
Found this number

Iceland - Export Health Certificate and import permit issued by Icelandic authorities (phone 020 7904 6347 for details)

Also give Overhills a call. They deal with imports but are very useful with exporting dogs too.
kiwijan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Excellent! Many thanks and will let you know how I get on in case others are interest.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2007, 03:15 PM
The owners will need to apply using this form

You will need to make sure everything on this list is complied with

These instructions are also quite comprehensive

Basically the puppy has to 5 months old & have a Pet Travel Scheme Pet Passport before it can travel & also have a chip of the EU type(like the one used for Pet Passports)
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2007, 03:46 PM
.....although the Pet travel scheme is only useful if you are wanting to bring the pup back in to the UK, which they aren't !

You can take any animal out of the Country without the Passport, it's only needed for bringing it back.

It depends on that Countries' regulations.

I have relatives in Iceland who say there are lots of JRTs !!!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2007, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
.....although the Pet travel scheme is only useful if you are wanting to bring the pup back in to the UK, which they aren't !

You can take any animal out of the Country without the Passport, it's only needed for bringing it back.

It depends on that Countries' regulations.

I have relatives in Iceland who say there are lots of JRTs !!!
The Pet Passport is accepted as a record that the dog has had all it's vax & titre tests & veterinary examinations & ergo a Pet Passport is a requirement now when importing a dog to most countries that are rabies free or/& in the Pet Travel Scheme It isn't just for bringing them back to the UK.

I suggest you might want to read the last link I put up
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2007, 04:01 PM
I don't need to. They don't need a Pet Passport. They need a Certificate of Health/vaccinations etc which is done by thier vets here in the UK. It's not the same as the passport !
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >