Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-01-2013, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
The pups i have bought have had no jab's ,i just assumed it was to make sure jab 1 and 2 came from the same source, also it used to be very rare to see Boxers tested for Hd, dont know if thats changed....
I think you are right about them not testing for HD or spondylosis and that is why i eventualy went with this breeder as he/she had at least had the heart test done and assured me that his/her lines were completely free of HD or spondylosis.I have now done alot of research as you can imagine and it seems that HD and spondylosis are a huge problem in the boxer.

As for jabs,all pups i have purchased in the pass have always had at least the first two.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-01-2013, 12:30 AM
One of our boxers has mild hd , Idont blame the breeder as it could have happened anytime having 2 very active dogs.. ..i know both his dame and sire have been heart tested as they are listed on the boxer breed council list,thats as much as i could ask for from the breeder at the time..
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2013, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by Balas mum View Post
My puppy did not have a guarantee but she came with a short insurance policy with her puppy pack.She had to see a vet within a certain amount of hours for the policy to be active.I did this.
Yes, that is common for most policies and is usually valid for about 6 weeks after purchase. Im assuming the Vet found no health issues with your puppy at this point?

Im now looking back through her paper work and on the receipt of purchase it even says that she has had no vaccinations to date.This really is bad and i must have been mad to have purchased this puppy.
No, that is perfectly normal. Most puppies do not being vaccination courses til about 8 weeks of age. There are vaccines more recently that can be started at younger, however, you must have asked this before bringing the puppy home?

Another thing that was not right was that i asked before i went to pick my puppy up that the heart result certificates were available for me to see.They were not available when i got there.The breeder told me that they were in the loft and he/she would email me them when he/she found them.Eventually after several emails he/she sent me the photocopies and the dates on them were 5 days after the purchase date of my puppy.I really was an idiot.Still lesson learned and remembered.
Yes, you should have walked away, however you can check that these certificates are valid and were indeed carried out.

Never mind,she is now a very happy,loyal,and much loved member of my family and as long as her spine does not get too much worse,i hope she will be with me for a lot of years to come.
That is the main thing, that you have her and she is well cared for, I too hope that she carries on well and is with you for many many years to come.

You must also remember that hip dysplasia, although inherited/congenital in origin, it is very difficult to predict. The responsible and ethical thing to do for breeders, is to only use dogs for breeding that score below the breed average. With that in mind though, its sometimes the case, that HD will crop up, but obviously with using high scoring animals, more frequently.
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-01-2013, 09:44 AM
Please advise as to where i can check these heart test results out?I have looked on the kennel club health test result page but they seem to have no record.Maybe im looking in the wrong place?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-01-2013, 10:02 AM
My puppy did not have a guarantee but she came with a short insurance policy with her puppy pack.She had to see a vet within a certain amount of hours for the policy to be active.I did this.

Im now looking back through her paper work and on the receipt of purchase it even says that she has had no vaccinations to date.This really is bad and i must have been mad to have purchased this puppy.
No vaccinating puppies is not bad at all, most breeders do not vaccinate their puppies before they go to a new home, due to a possible overload of vaccine, as different brands are not compatible, i.e... your breeder gives the pup his first one, (one brand) and your vet uses another, it will mean the pup needs to restart vaccines all over again, resulting in unnecessary jabs

Another thing that was not right was that i asked before i went to pick my puppy up that the heart result certificates were available for me to see.They were not available when i got there.The breeder told me that they were in the loft and he/she would email me them when he/she found them.Eventually after several emails he/she sent me the photocopies and the dates on them were 5 days after the purchase date of my puppy.I really was an idiot.Still lesson learned and remembered.
I am a bit confused here, are we talking about the parents heart scores?? are you saying the breeder had the Dam and or Sire heart scored after you bought your pup ? what are the scores? did you not know you could have checked the results of parents scoring on the heath register before you brought your pup.

Never mind,she is now a very happy,loyal,and much loved member of my family and as long as her spine does not get too much worse,i hope she will be with me for a lot of years to come.
HD and Spondylosis , although can be screened for HD at least, (I don't think there is any screening for hereditary Spondylosis) so if the breeder said is not aware of Spondylosis in her lines, I am afriad you can only take her word for it.

HD as you know can be screened for (in breeding stock) but even then it is no guarantee your pup will not develop it at a point in his life, as environment can impact its development, same with Spondylosis environment can play a massive part in development.

Both my dogs have (had) a degree of Spondylosis , it never entered my head the breeder played a part in my dogs developing it.

You will know , if you did your research in the UK, that the only recommended health test (by breed club) for Boxers here is heart scoring , (and recently JKD) finding a breeder in the UK, that hip scores their Boxers is like looking for hens teeth, its not done (sadly) the amount of breeders that do hip score, you will count on one hand.

The facts are, if you want a Boxer (in the UK) you will have to accept that breeders only test for hearts... finding one that tests for hearts AND hips .........well good luck in that.....

JKD is a recent nasty that is seen in our breed, and to be honest , if looking for a Boxer today, that would be (along with hearts) at the top of my list when looking at lines/breeders.

Hips and Spondylosis sadly can be found in ALL dogs, of ALL breeds and mixes, its not always down to breeder neglect ,

As a matter of interest, what are the results of the heart scoring?
Carole
Supervisor

19-01-2013, 10:03 AM
This is the heart test list from the breed council website

http://www.boxerbreedcouncil.co.uk/heartlist.htm
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-01-2013, 10:09 AM
first of all please tell me where i can check the results out and then i will post what the scores are.I cant post the certificates as they have the breeders name and parents names on.Im sure you understand!!!!!
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-01-2013, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by Carole View Post
This is the heart test list from the breed council website

http://www.boxerbreedcouncil.co.uk/heartlist.htm
Thankyou Carol.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

19-01-2013, 10:15 AM
first of all please tell me where i can check the results out and then i will post what the scores are.I cant post the certificates as they have the breeders name and parents names on.Im sure you understand!!!!!
You dont have to post the names, just the scores

Like............dam 0 or 1 . sire 0 or 1
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-01-2013, 10:18 AM
As a matter of interest, what are the results of the heart scoring?
The certificate says thet the Bitches result is 1 and the males is 0-1. I have been told by another breeder that this result is not possible as it is either a 0 or a 1 not in between.I dont know if this is correct????
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »