Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Dogs he would have ignored barking at him, he would react completely different towards, when walking with a female.
Sounds a bit like my ex-boyfriend!!!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by Maisiesmum View Post

Well this lab does think he is part of the family. Tara gets on better with him than our own dogs. He was a pup when I started walking him and Tara was less than a year. Sweet!
Loui has a girl too but when another girl comes and they go off and play without him, he just looks really "sulky"
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Loui has a girl too but when another girl comes and they go off and play without him, he just looks really "sulky"
If the lab plays with another bitch Tara splits them up. And they say dogs don't get jealous!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 11:48 PM
Thanks everyone...

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
No it is not the same thing at all, and if he was being "protective" what was he being protective of, if not the owner?
The other dogs...

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I said about the 'getting in between' thing because that can be a collie thing anyway
I call Ben the fun police sometimes because when some of his friends are getting a bit too rough he will put himself between them and try and split them up
Jake is like that!! If the other dogs are playing, he is always keeping an eye on what is going on and if a dog gets carried away, Jake will run over and chase them away Paddy is usually at the end of it, coz he gets too boisterous, especially with Jake's wee girlfriend, Willow

He also does it if another dog is hassling another. Louie, the EBT, is only 9 months old and he can be a real pest... especially with the females! Today, he was grabbing poor Button's tail, and she had to constantly tell him off... I could see Jake was keeping an eye on the situation, and then twice, he ran over and put himself between them. He didn't make contact, but he stared at Louie and followed him for a few feet when Louie walked away. After the second time, Louie left her alone

He can also be protective of Paddy, and if Paddy is getting worried about another dog, Jake gets in between them and will sometimes air snap at the other dog. He doesn't seem to do this with dogs he knows well and trusts (like when Paddy first met Louie he was terrified, Jake just looked at him like he was saying 'get over it' ), but he did it once with a dog who he does know, but can be unpredictable and gets a bit OTT. Jake and Zach used to play all the time, but last year the fireworks sent him loopy and in the one walk, Zach kept snapping in Jake's face and then aggressively pinned Willow to the ground. Jake is ok with Zach, but he has never since played with Zach, and so I think that is why he got protective over Paddy when he first met Zach
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-11-2011, 03:30 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
sorry I'm not getting your drift
I believe dogs, humans and animals go in to protection mode when they feel fear of the thing. So Jake probably was fearful of the Rotts and that is why he went in to protection mode.

the behaviour you are describing for jake is distance creation.
that is a form of protection.

he is telling the rotties to keep their distance from his group and himself.
this is probably rooted in his anxiety over these dogs, not a sense of protectiveness as such.
the fear provoked the desire to protect.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3