Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-10-2010, 09:28 PM

Reading horse sales

Went today with college to the Reading horse sales, wasnt as bad as i thought it was going to be actually.

there was about 15 horses and ponies for sale one which i wanted to buy soo bad but couldnt lol some of the horses looked not so good, skinny, old, bad feet and one was very shy of being touched so dont know what they have done to her but she had a 5 week old foal with her, soo cute.

here is a picture of one, this little one was quite old (18 i think) and had only ever been a field companion, went for £25 poor little pony

would find a lovely project horse there though
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2010, 06:51 AM
Poor little things. Horse sales are unfortunatley the best business for the knackers man.
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-10-2010, 08:26 AM
i know, there wasnt that many knackered looking horses/ponies 2 i think was it.
the rest looked very good, bit underweight and need building up but otherwise looked good.

but yh perfect place for the meat man
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
Poor little things. Horse sales are unfortunatley the best business for the knackers man.
thats true, and to be honest , some of the lives those horses have led and may lead in the future, to my mind it's the best place for them

You generally find the horses (not all , but most) end up at these sales (unless they are warranted) are the ones no one wants, they usually have temperament issues, old, hidden illnesses, and for the ponies simply to many for to few homes!

Hate the places, it always shows the bad side of the horse world
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2010, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
thats true, and to be honest , some of the lives those horses have led and may lead in the future, to my mind it's the best place for them

You generally find the horses (not all , but most) end up at these sales (unless they are warranted) are the ones no one wants, they usually have temperament issues, old, hidden illnesses, and for the ponies simply to many for to few homes!

Hate the places, it always shows the bad side of the horse world
Couldnt agree more (that'll be a first! ) They do tend to be the ones that cant sell because theres not much going for them. Its like the New Forest sales. All the foals are rounded up and sold at market. I would imagine very few of them find loving homes.
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-10-2010, 01:05 PM
i agree with you all here, a lot of them will not find loving homes which is really sad.

we have to do an assignment on the welfare of the horses (all my pics were taken undercover lol some people dont like u taking pictures of there horses)

we are going to the Ascot sales soon to see the differance, will be much nicer there.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-10-2010, 02:50 PM
we have sales of ponies here at beaulieau road, i hate it i only go to get my fencing for our ponies they are sometimes crammed into the pens, its the last resort for selling them thats what i think and if not the meat man is there as well.
alot are skinny not been wormed and some people have bought them and ended up with strangles then its spread to rest of yard!
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-10-2010, 03:00 PM
it depends where you go i think and what people turn up on the day. all the horses had their own pen unless they had a foal with them then they sayed together.

there is always a risk of them having some sort of disease but then its something that comes with this sort of thing.

i know there are some pretty awful ones out there and some of the horses/ponies are horrible but this one wasnt to bad at all.