View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benji's Mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-07-2006, 10:05 AM
Thanks Ripsnorter, ideally I'd like him down to 15-18KG .
Tan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2006, 11:46 PM
Sounds like you're on the right track!
You know what they say about how to tell if your dog is about the right size - if you can feel the ribs when you stroke him but can't see them... there should be a thin covering of fat. There should also be a bit of a waist when you look at him from above... that might be asking a bit much at the moment, though.
Benji's Mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-07-2006, 07:50 AM
Hi, yes I have heard that, I can't really feel his ribs easily yet but he is getting a bit of a waist now

He's been a bit naughty the last few days, Sunday he was off his lead doing really well then he decided to jump in the river! Luckily he can when I waved the treat bag at him but I dread to think what would have happened if he had ignored it.

Then yesterday he was off on the park and saw a cat, let's just say he really doesn't like them. I though he had gone into the road This morning he ran a long way from me on the park and ignored my calls, again, luckily I had a ball to distract him and he came back.

He has been doing so well for a couple of weeks and it seems to have gone to his head now
Tan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Don't be too concerned, but stay as far away from the road as you can - if he likes to swim that's great, throw the ball in and see if he'll fetch and bring back. Swimming is great exercise!
He's not daft, and knows where you are, that's the main thing. You just need the confidence to know he'll come back. Ours disappears for a while sometimes in the park, but she trots back in her own good time. It's about building up trust.
Benji's Mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-07-2006, 09:51 AM
Thanks for that, my heart stopped when I thought he had gone onto the road, I owe that damned cat I haven't let him off since but I will try again, being a spaniel his nose is always on the ground and he gets carried away I think I need to work on his recall again.
whistle
New Member!
Female 

19-07-2006, 11:59 AM
Hi,

Spaniels respond well to a whistle. You can train them easily. Everytime you call your dog in the house or the garden toot toot on the whistle and praise your dog when he comes to you.

You can try this in the park as well. Eventually you will only need to toot toot on the whistle and he will come back. It saves you shouting and Spaniels seem to learn this fast.
Benji's Mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-07-2006, 01:41 PM
I have tried a whistle before but I only have a cheap one so I will get a better one soon and give it a go. I've heard Acme brand are good, do you have any recommendations? Are ordinary or dog whistles best? Thanks for your reply
whistle
New Member!
Female 

20-07-2006, 02:12 PM
Hi,

If you have a fishing/gun shop (hunting, country sports) you can get a hunting whistle.

If not you could try one of the shooting magazines as the hunting whistles are always advertised and are usually very good, unfortunately I don't know the make.
Benji's Mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-07-2006, 04:31 PM
Hi

Yesterday I ordered an Acme 211.5 whistle off eBay so I am eagerly awaiting it to arrive so I can get going with some recall training. I heard this is a good all-round whistle.

I let Benji off the lead on the park this morning and he was fine but he still had that cat on his mind! Stayed in the middle and when he looked over to where it was I turned and walked quickly the other way. It seemed to work but he's lost interest in his ball on a rope
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6