Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
Glad to hear he might now lose some weight. I've got my dog down from 50kgs to his ideal weight of 43kgs. now which my vet wanted, and he looks soooo much better and a lot more agile too. I bought a cheap set of scales, as I used to just use the plastic cup with the food and I restricted his diet, but bulked it out with brocolli, cabbage and cooked carrots coz I know how they love them raw. It worked for him, and of course the veg is good for them. Good luck, keep it up!

p.s. What about getting a mountain bike too like I did, not only can you go further, but Benji will have to run alongside which of course will burn off more calories? If you need a link to get a really, really cheap brand new one like I got, let me know! I'm talking £30 here!!! Bargain!
It really does make a huge difference, especially for older dogs. I really do think that if Woody was allowed to be an overweight Lab he would've been put to sleep by now. The extra weight on his joints would've finished him off I think.
It's hard work keeping them slim but sooo worth it if it means they're in our lives for that little bit longer!
Benji's Mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-06-2006, 02:40 PM
Thanks again everyone! Benji really does enjoy his play, his favourite thing is the rope, he loves trying to pull it off me. Not sure about a bike, Helena, Benji pulls so much on his lead, I'd be all over the place!

I'll try weighing him at the weekend, see how he's doing, I'm glad I've stopped the gravy bones, I certainly do want him to have the best (and longest) life possible. Can't imagine not having him now!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 02:44 PM
This might help if you still fancy the biking thingy!

http://www.bikeyourdog.co.uk/index.html

Definitely considering getting one myself, more for an excuse to keep me fit though!
Benji's Mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-06-2006, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the link, I'll take a look. Benji has certainly been good for me, I've lost almost 3 and a half stone since having him in January 2005! Does anyone have an idea how much he should weigh? I have a Cocker Spaniel book which says 13 - 15.5kg but that is for a Show Cocker, Workers are much more heavily set.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 04:12 PM
You've done well yourself then losing all that weight! Well done!

Regarding Benji's weight though, I think those charts, even the ones in the vets, are only guidlines coz all dogs even the same breeds are all different sizes aren't they, so an ideal weight for one wouldn't be an ideal weight for say a smaller/larger dog. You will be able to tell for yourself just bylooking at him and you should be able to feel his ribs, if you can't he's far too overweight I'm afraid! You should be able to feel them quite easily, not hunt deep for them, if you know what I mean! Again though, he shouldn't look like a toast rack though! You will then find he will be somewhere in the range of those sizes they give.
Benji's Mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-06-2006, 11:27 AM
Thanks, I'm quite pleased with myself - another 2 pounds gone this week

Here's 2 pics of Benji swimming in Cromford Canal last Saturday evening -

Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2006, 11:57 AM
Lovely piccies, and that'll lose the weight quicker than anything else, and it's sooooo much fun for him!
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2006, 01:22 PM
Great news for you both. Well done
Benji's Mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-07-2006, 10:54 AM
Hi, thought I'd post an update. I haven't weighed Benji but he is looking a little better Gravy bones have been dropped but he usually has a couple of little treats in the morning to keep him going.

I've stepped up his exercise, I now take a ball to the park and use the tennis courts to play with him, he's even getting better and bringing it back to me!

Went to Dovedale last night so he could have a paddle which he thoroughly enjoyed

Another 2 pounds off for me so everything is going well!
Helen&Lucy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-07-2006, 05:03 PM
Hi

we live at Castle Donington and i swim Lucy at Twycross in a horse pool, its not heated but once they start swimming they warm up, its helped lucy loose 5 pounds, i also feed her light/senior dog food with veg to bulk it up and make sure shes not hungry! Lucy was funny about dried food so to cure this i put her feed down and if she didnt eat it id take it away after 10 minutes, you will find a hungry dog eats anything (my mum was always feeding her tip bits!!!) where abouts in derby do you live? theres a pool at chellaston and there the dogs swim against the jets rather than around the pool...

if u want to send me a private e mail id be willing to give you a call and provide you with information about the pools in our area!

misshaucott@yahoo.co.uk

H x
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >