View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2006, 02:44 PM
Yes there are canine hydrotherapy pools, listed in the website below. There are a couple in Derbyshire, not sure how close to you though.
http://www.k9hydrotherapy.co.uk/poolfinder.html
You could also ask your vets, they might know of some a bit closer.

Personally I've always let them go in the local river. They are a bit dirty but in my experience that's how dogs like it! And it's cheaper!!

Your Cocker sounds just like a friends, he can't be let off lead either cos he just disappears! It's not that he runs away, it's just that he forgets he's supposed to be with someone!
Benji's Mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the link, looks interesting but Benji really wouldn't like a stranger handling him.

By coincidence, last night we took him to Cromford Canal in the Peak District for a 2 mile stroll. Then he just jumped in the canal and had a swim! It was as if he knew what we have been discussing He was still on his extending lead as there were some ducks around so I could pull him away if needed.

He really enjoyed himself and kept looking at me to see if it was OK for him to carry on, I couldn't make him get out as he was really into it, I have some photos of him in action, I'll try and get one on here soon.

This morning he had three gravy bones, broken into pieces and thrown on the lawn so he had something to do, plus he kept coming back for another which is a bit of training also.

I'll keep you updated
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2006, 11:53 AM
What about a raw carrot as a treat instead of bones? Mine have these and they love chewing on them and of course they don't put on any weight either
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2006, 12:48 PM
All those lumpy bits of carrots are supposed to help empty the anal glands on the way out!
Benji's Mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2006, 02:50 PM
Funny you should say that, he had one this morning! Yes he loves them, I think the gravy bones will be limited to a couple each morning plus maybe some carrot. Thanks for the tips everyone!
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-06-2006, 02:52 PM
I'd definately drop the gravy bones & bulk up his main meal with more veg. I part cook veg for my dogs then roughly mash it down before adding to their food. I was surprised how readily they accepted veg like cabbage. If you can gradually increase his activity it will obviously also help his joints as he ages.
Regards
Benji's Mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-06-2006, 06:46 PM
I have increased Benji's (and mine) exercise by an extra 30 minutes a day, plus lots of play in the garden. He loves being chased by a plastic bag of all things - he runs like lightning!

No gravy bones today, he certainly hasn't missed them, in fact yesterday I gave him one and he refused it! He must have had enough of them.

Thanks for all the comments, I'm off for a play now!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2006, 07:26 PM
Excellent news, that extra weight will be shed in no time!
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 12:59 PM
Sounds great! I think when you make an extra effort to play with your dog, it reminds you why you got them. Enjoy...
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 01:05 PM
Glad to hear he might now lose some weight. I've got my dog down from 50kgs to his ideal weight of 43kgs. now which my vet wanted, and he looks soooo much better and a lot more agile too. I bought a cheap set of scales, as I used to just use the plastic cup with the food and I restricted his diet, but bulked it out with brocolli, cabbage and cooked carrots coz I know how they love them raw. It worked for him, and of course the veg is good for them. Good luck, keep it up!

p.s. What about getting a mountain bike too like I did, not only can you go further, but Benji will have to run alongside which of course will burn off more calories? If you need a link to get a really, really cheap brand new one like I got, let me know! I'm talking £30 here!!! Bargain!
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »