Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sammy.w
New Member!
Female 

08-03-2013, 09:54 PM

New puppy advice please!

Hi i have had my new puppy skye for 3 days now and its like having a newborn baby!i am shattered! I am a bit worried that she is not eating much and about the qaulity of the food the breeder gave me, its purina beta puppy complete, soaked. she doesnt seem interested in her food and will only eat it if i feed her out my hand and then not a lot. Should i change food?
Any help would be great thanks.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-03-2013, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by sammy.w View Post
Hi i have had my new puppy skye for 3 days now and its like having a newborn baby!i am shattered! I am a bit worried that she is not eating much and about the qaulity of the food the breeder gave me, its purina beta puppy complete, soaked. she doesnt seem interested in her food and will only eat it if i feed her out my hand and then not a lot. Should i change food?
Any help would be great thanks.
Hello Sammy yes it is hard work having a puppy but they grow quickly so things will get easier in a relatively short time.

It isn't unusual for puppies do go off their food with the stress of going to a new home.
I wouldn't change the food straight away or you may risk upsetting puppy's tummy, I would give her a week to settle then gradually introduce a new food a bit at a time.

If you start hand feeding meals your puppy may get into the habit of being fed that way and while it is a good for tip bits I would put the measured food meals in the bowl, put them down without any fuss and remove after twenty minutes.
Not sure how old your puppy is , young puppies should be on four small meals a day.
sammy.w
New Member!
Female 

08-03-2013, 10:40 PM
Hi yes she is on 4 small meals, she is 8 weeks old. I'll. Stop hand feeding her then. Also the breeder said to drop her lunch time feed at around 12 weeks, is this about right her last meal is at 9 in the evening, when should i drop that one? Its hard work, i am constantly in the garden toilet training which is going ok,and her first 2 nights i never heard a peep out of her, i was worried that she was so quiet i got up at half 5 to check on her
Thanks for the advice
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-03-2013, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by sammy.w View Post
Hi yes she is on 4 small meals, she is 8 weeks old. I'll. Stop hand feeding her then. Also the breeder said to drop her lunch time feed at around 12 weeks, is this about right her last meal is at 9 in the evening, when should i drop that one? Its hard work, i am constantly in the garden toilet training which is going ok,and her first 2 nights i never heard a peep out of her, i was worried that she was so quiet i got up at half 5 to check on her
Thanks for the advice
Hi Sammy, yes three meals at 12 weeks is ok then down to two meals at 6 months.

The hard work now will be worth it in the end
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-03-2013, 04:00 AM
Puppies could be so much work but so worth it in the end. I like to hand feed my puppies so we build a bond of trust right from the beginning. I don't do this for super long, just until the pup shows traits of trust between us. After that it's fair game and they eat out of their bowl with my hand in it to make sure he/she doesn't resource guard their food as they grow up and mature.
Just like Mini said, it's not unusual for a pup or dog to go off their food due to the great life changes of moving to a new home.

Good luck with your puppy.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2013, 07:23 AM
I'd be inclined to check with your breeder as to how long/short a time she soaked the food. If you don't soak it long enough, it's not soft enough, and if you soak it too long, it might not be as pallatable for her. Just a quick phone call, it could be something to do with this perhaps?

Good luck, she needs to eat to sustain her growth, and you seem to be doing well with everything else. I used to mix a bit of wet into my dog food when she was a puppy, and you could chat with the breeder about whether she did this too?

I hope you get her tempted soon
sammy.w
New Member!
Female 

09-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Thanks for your advice, she seems better today has eaten a little more and is coming out of her shell