View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Anything can happen with pups. You can get two perfect 100% health checked dogs who have both been used together before and produced 100% perfect pups, and then one can have problems.

This happened to me twice. An absolutely perfect little bitch puppy was unwell at 3 weeks and I thought it was fps. Turned out to be a urine infection. She was treated for that but then developed meningitis and that exquisite little girl had to be pts at just five weeks.

Just a fluke, said my Vet. No known cause, no known reason. And the other pup in the litter, a boy, was as healthy as could be.

The other one was from the third and final breeding of the girl I had on breeding terms. She had two from her first two litters, and just the one little boy from her third and last. And somehow he scratched his eye soon after his eyes had opened.

Much expense and much treatment and we saved the eye, but not his sight.

He was perfect and the blind eye was "cosmetically" normal looking.

No reason for that little bitch to develop meningitis. No reason for the little lad to end up with one blind eye.

These things happen.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 08:46 PM
i have no idea about the rib thing, ive never come across it. But phoebe had a lot water infections as a pup, vet said she wasnt keeping her self clean and to be honest ild never seen her clean down there so said i had to do so every morning and night, ild get the flannel with hot water with a drop of dog shampoo and had to give her a clean. This went on till she was around 2 and she finally learnt to do it herslef. But phoebe didnt leanr lots of dog things as a pup because she seperated herself at 4 weeks and we couldnt get her anywhere near her mum and brothers and sisters
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Cant understand your vet, puppy cystitis is very very common. A lot of bitches, puppies more so will sit on tbe ground to pee & very easy for bacterial infections to occur
Duck
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-08-2011, 09:13 PM
as already said anything can happen with pups, even if they are 100% health tested or a cross.

I bought my dane from a well know accredited breeder both parents had the relivent health tests etc, yet my boy only being 19 months has 4 health issues. So it goes to show it can happen to anyone no matter if they are tested or not.

hope your little pup is soon on the mend.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 10:07 PM
I really hope your little pup is feeling better soon!

And yes, you make a vital point: in an ideal world everyone would ensure that their pups came from parents who are health tested for genetic and/or hereditary conditions. Well said

At least your pup has you to take care of her
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2011, 09:39 PM
Unless there is another reason for the water infection, then I'm afraid it's just one of those things.

Somebody I know, bred a litter of cockers, one of the bitches in the litter kept getting water infections, ended up she had what the vet called an inverted vulva....it was really tiny compared to the others, he said it may or may not rectify itself as she grows, but the breeder has kept her, nothing inherited, from fully health tested parents, so it happens even to the best of breeders.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2