Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 11:45 AM

Can you reccommend a dry food?

My dog has reached her 1st birthday and I am thinking about changing her food as I think we can do better than ProPlan

I would like to stick with dry food for the moment (no freezer space for raw and prefer not to feed wet).
I am looking for something around £35-40 per 15kg. Ideally from PAH but they don't seem to stock lots of the better things so can shop online too.

I have fed JWB and ProPlan so far. She's fed on ProPlan (salmon) because she likes the small, more oily kibble but not sure it's as good as it could be and recently some of her stools are a bit soft - is this a sign of overfeeding or bad food?!

What would you reccomend?
Thanks in advance
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Arden grange ??(you can get good deals online for trade packaging )
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Arden grange ??(you can get good deals online for trade packaging )
Thanks, its actually better value than I thought. How do you find trade packaging?
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by WhichPets View Post
Thanks, its actually better value than I thought. How do you find trade packaging?
Try Berriewood....?

Most other foods i looked at were over the 40 pound mark ...
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 12:05 PM
We use Waingwrights from Pets at home for our female who turns her nose up at most raw .
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
We use Waingwrights from Pets at home for our female who turns her nose up at most raw .
I was going to say if you generally get your food from PAH then you could try Wainwrights. Some of the PAH shops sell Autarky too which could be worth looking into.

I have also found Simpsons a good dry food too.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 12:17 PM
I would have recommended the Fish4Dogs food, especially as your dog likes salmon, but I think it's a bit too pricey at £45 a bag?

One of my dogs is currently on the wet trays of Wainwrights and she absolutely adores it, doesn't leave a scrap, so I would have thought their dry food is quite pallatable too and it would be at a much better price.

Yes, overfeeding CAN cause runny poo's - too much in one meal, too much for the gut to cope with, so either split into another smaller meal, or reduce the daily amount. 3 meals a day for a 1yr old is not out of the ordinary, but don't know how many you feed a day
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Try Berriewood....?

Most other foods i looked at were over the 40 pound mark ...
Thanks, will have a look on their site.

Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Is this very similar to JWB..she seemed to be a bit fussy with that? Although she will eat anything if she gets hungry enough but I struggled to even get her to eat 2 meals a day on JWB.

Originally Posted by spockky boy View Post
I was going to say if you generally get your food from PAH then you could try Wainwrights. Some of the PAH shops sell Autarky too which could be worth looking into.

I have also found Simpsons a good dry food too.
Thanks, my PAH doesnt stock Autarky but will look in to it

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I would have recommended the Fish4Dogs food, especially as your dog likes salmon, but I think it's a bit too pricey at £45 a bag?

One of my dogs is currently on the wet trays of Wainwrights and she absolutely adores it, doesn't leave a scrap, so I would have thought their dry food is quite pallatable too and it would be at a much better price.

Yes, overfeeding CAN cause runny poo's - too much in one meal, too much for the gut to cope with, so either split into another smaller meal, or reduce the daily amount. 3 meals a day for a 1yr old is not out of the ordinary, but don't know how many you feed a day
Thanks, I will look around and see if I can find Fish4dogs a little cheaper maybe. I had a little sample bag that I fed her as treats which she seemed to like.
I will look in to Wainwrights as lots of you seem to have mentioned it!
She is fed under the daily guide for ProPlan and is pretty slim so I find it hard to think she is overfed but I could have a go cutting down and see if it helps.
She's fed 2 times a day which I'll keep her on, but 3 times would be a struggle! Most mornings I end up only giving her half anyway as she doesn't really like to eat til the evening.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 12:32 PM
id recomend wainrights. ive fed it to mine before now, both the wet and the dry and they ate it. its a little cheaper than JWB too.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Found a 12kg bag of Fish 4 Dogs for only £36 free P&P on VetUK so this could be an option

Fish 4 Dogs:
Fresh Fish 30.5%, Potato30.5%, Herring Meal 21.4%, Salmon Oil 7.6%, Beet Fibre 6.4%, Brewers Yeast 2.1%, Minerals 0.8%, Vitamins 0.7%

Do you think these ingredients are better than the Wainrights?

Wainwrights:
Turkey Meat Meal (min. 22%), Rice (min. 25%), Whole Grain Barley (min. 8%), Potato Protein, Refined Poultry Oil, Whole Linseed (min. 4%), Sugar Beet Pulp (min. 2%), Low Allergen Poultry Digest as Gravy, Alfalfa, Monosodium Phosphate (min. 0.8%), Natural Seawood (min. 0.5%), Sodium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Methionine, Molluscs and Crustaceans (as a source of Glucosamine HCI), Chondroitin, Marigold Extract, Yucca Extract, Rosemary Extract.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »