View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazzie
New Member!
Female 

29-01-2010, 04:59 PM

Golden being sick but otherwise fine (descriptive sorry!!)

Hiya. I have two Golden Retriever girlies, Niamh age 8 and Hope age 5. One of them is being sick at the moment whilst we are out but we don't know which one it is. Today we separated them (we were not popular) but no vomiting!

However, they are both eating well, neither have got diarrhoea and their demeanour is normal. The vomit is orange/muddy colour and the consistency of bile. Not a lot of it but we have noticed grass. This has happened a couple of times lately - yesterday it was quite a bit. I phoned the vet and they were totally puzzled and just said to bring them both in but Hope absolutely hates the vet (bad experience when a puppy) and we try to restrict her visits to booster time only (luckily she is healthy). Niamh isn't much better!

We have noticed Niamh is stretching but she will hold her paw up to anything

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks
LoweherzLeos
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-01-2010, 05:24 PM
TBH if it were me id starve them for 24 hours and just offer water. if you are able to get to a manor pharmacy chemist and buy a tube of prokolin, its about £11 from there, £16 from lloyds chemist and £24 from a vet, and if there isnt anything else apparently wrong and they are drinking as normal, this is the only thing a vet will give.

if you are particularly worried then take them if for nothing else than your piece of mind. if it went on for 3-4 days then id take them, but thats me. unless new symptoms occur.

the way i see it, id pay £20 for a consultation then a further £24 for prokolin. but i cant tell you not to take your dogs, and i wouldnt forgive myself if anything happened because i told you not to go.

im just saying if i was in similar situation, this is what i would do
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by Kazzie View Post
Hiya. I have two Golden Retriever girlies, Niamh age 8 and Hope age 5. One of them is being sick at the moment whilst we are out but we don't know which one it is. Today we separated them (we were not popular) but no vomiting!

However, they are both eating well, neither have got diarrhoea and their demeanour is normal. The vomit is orange/muddy colour and the consistency of bile. Not a lot of it but we have noticed grass. This has happened a couple of times lately - yesterday it was quite a bit. I phoned the vet and they were totally puzzled and just said to bring them both in but Hope absolutely hates the vet (bad experience when a puppy) and we try to restrict her visits to booster time only (luckily she is healthy). Niamh isn't much better!

We have noticed Niamh is stretching but she will hold her paw up to anything

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Hi Karen if I may add a little to the advice already given . You say ''We have noticed Niamh is stretching'' which can be an indication of pain so I would guess the problem is with Niamh.

You also say ''this has happened a couple of times lately ''. If it was a one off tummy upset in an adult dog I would do much as LHLeos suggests, starve for 24 hours to rest the tummy and to prevent further vomiting then give a light diet the following day of white rice and fish or chicken given in three small meals, than gradually reintroduce the normal diet . Also constant access to water is important (don't allow large amounts to be gulped down or it may cause further vomiting ,better to put out a small bowl and keep replenishing it) .

However as the vomiting has happened 'a couple of times lately' and there is 'stretching' I would have a vet check .