Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Patterdaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-07-2009, 10:43 PM

Your opinions please?

Even if it is critisim i don't mind, i need everyones thoughts and opinions on this.
I know Patterdales aren't a registered breed, but they still do shows around the country for them. Anyway i was checking out breed standard, and noticed that Bess fitted it perfectly. She stands at 12 inches at the withers and has the correct coat for her coat type. Broken: Coarse, longer hair on body except for head and ears which is smooth. May be some longer whiskering on muzzle and chin.
She only has a white blaze, which i know to be acceptable as most black patterdales do, and tiny white tips on one paw, barely visible. So i thought maybe i could start doing a bit of showing, not being to serious, more as abit of fun, a hobby. Anyway I don't have a clue what to do, apart from making your dog stand correctly, and walking in the correct way. Also with Bess being quite nervy, she seems to be okay in public places, and when she isn't at home, but i am nervous of her shying away or moving about, could i perhaps have some friends, of who she doesn't know come and stroke her and feel around her body like a judge does? How would i go about entering shows? and how much roughly does it cost to enter?

Anyway, please tell me whether you think i should or not, give any tips, or critisim I'm open to anything, but please dont be too harsh
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by Patterdaleowner View Post
Even if it is critisim i don't mind, i need everyones thoughts and opinions on this.
I know Patterdales aren't a registered breed, but they still do shows around the country for them. Anyway i was checking out breed standard, and noticed that Bess fitted it perfectly. She stands at 12 inches at the withers and has the correct coat for her coat type. Broken: Coarse, longer hair on body except for head and ears which is smooth. May be some longer whiskering on muzzle and chin.
She only has a white blaze, which i know to be acceptable as most black patterdales do, and tiny white tips on one paw, barely visible. So i thought maybe i could start doing a bit of showing, not being to serious, more as abit of fun, a hobby. Anyway I don't have a clue what to do, apart from making your dog stand correctly, and walking in the correct way. Also with Bess being quite nervy, she seems to be okay in public places, and when she isn't at home, but i am nervous of her shying away or moving about, could i perhaps have some friends, of who she doesn't know come and stroke her and feel around her body like a judge does? How would i go about entering shows? and how much roughly does it cost to enter?

Anyway, please tell me whether you think i should or not, give any tips, or critisim I'm open to anything, but please dont be too harsh
having friends go over Bess is a great idea, if you want to show her, just go for it. It may take a few shows before you both get into it and know what to do but if you are spending time together who cares? Shows won't cost much, probably less than £5.00, as only champ shows are expensive. Have a look at Patterdale or working terier websites for show info and schedules. Hope you have fun, and good luck!
Patterdaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-07-2009, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
having friends go over Bess is a great idea, if you want to show her, just go for it. It may take a few shows before you both get into it and know what to do but if you are spending time together who cares? Shows won't cost much, probably less than £5.00, as only champ shows are expensive. Have a look at Patterdale or working terier websites for show info and schedules. Hope you have fun, and good luck!
Thanks Loki's mum
I also hope to do terrier racing with her as she is extremely athletic, and also she is a good ratter So she has the working to a tee and the she is pweetty too, my perfect lil angel
RiverWild!
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Also have a look on fossedata, they have shows and schedules on there to download, most class fees are about £5.00 now for first entry.
Have a look around and see if there are any ringcraft clubs around your area, I recently took on a border collie who was quite nervous took her to ringcraft and it has done her the world of good.
Good luck with your showing and most of all have fun.

Shelly
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2009, 09:37 AM
Try and find your local ringcraft training club, they will give you the finer points on showing. Then if you want to enter Terrier Shows I think some of them are advertised in things like The Countrymans Weekly.
When I bred terriers one of my undocked puppies was shown (by her owner) in a terrier show and got best puppy in breed!
Becky
Patterdaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by RiverWild! View Post
Also have a look on fossedata, they have shows and schedules on there to download, most class fees are about £5.00 now for first entry.
Have a look around and see if there are any ringcraft clubs around your area, I recently took on a border collie who was quite nervous took her to ringcraft and it has done her the world of good.
Good luck with your showing and most of all have fun.

Shelly
Great, thanks for the tips and advice, i will have a look at fossedata, i have found a ringcraft class in my area, and now just persuading mum to pay to let me go

Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Try and find your local ringcraft training club, they will give you the finer points on showing. Then if you want to enter Terrier Shows I think some of them are advertised in things like The Countrymans Weekly.
When I bred terriers one of my undocked puppies was shown (by her owner) in a terrier show and got best puppy in breed!
Becky

Thanks for the tips Mahooli Wow best puppy in breed, bet you and the owner were chuffed What terriers did you used to breed? Everyone always tells me how great Bess is and that if i ever breed her to call them I know i can't go on what other people say, as they may just be being nice, but some good patterdale people have also said she is a great looking dog and would do well in shows