Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
It sounds like you have a very sensible vet. I think mine are generally ok it was just this particular nurse who felt the need to give me a dressing down.
I know I'm lucky.
On the right day, I'd have taken the opertunity to educate such a vet nurse, though by the sounds of her I don't know she'd have taken much in. At least you are sensible enough to not take on board what she said.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

29-03-2010, 04:15 PM
Hmmmn! But that would be sooooooooooo boring, he just won't eat it and then loses weight! Well Ollie says he would rather have a tiny bit tartar on his teeth than eat dry kibble, and if necesary could Mum please use the toothbrush on him a bit more often.
Well Ms. Emma Bruno who is an Italian vet. and a world authority on Newfoundlands has written in her book that she thinks dogs deserve a varied diet and she recommends most of the things you are giving Ollie.

Ms. Bruno's books are considered the definitive works (At least as far as Newfoundlands are concerned) so I would say if it's good enough for her dogs then it's good enough for mine and yours.

Dogs need variety, how would you like to have to eat the same boring stuff everyday BTW can you get chicken necks around your way, our two love them and turkey necks too
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Ignore known best practices,and you can expect that. Good for the nurse for telling you what you need to hear.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Ignore known best practices,and you can expect that. Good for the nurse for telling you what you need to hear.
Labman, what on earth do you think dogs lived off before dog food was invented? it was, believe it or not, "people" food...or at least, the bits of "people" food (leftovers/scraps) that the people didn't want to eat. Dogs are scavengers with the capability to consume all sorts of food. Doing as you suggest (keeping a dog on a cheap rubbish kibble for it's entire life) is far more likely to be of detriment to the dog than giving it variety. If you give a dog zero variety in it's diet, when it does consume something that is not it's regular dry food, that will likely result in the dog having diarrhea or even getting sick as the digestive system cannot cope with the change. On the other hand, dogs that are used to eating all sorts of foods rarely experience problems with eating something 'new'.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
I know I'm lucky.
On the right day, I'd have taken the opertunity to educate such a vet nurse, though by the sounds of her I don't know she'd have taken much in. At least you are sensible enough to not take on board what she said.

True, but today wasn't the right day for me to be constructive. I am off work with a head full of cement and screaming sinuses! Ollie couldn't have picked a worse day to hurt himself really!
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Well Ms. Emma Bruno who is an Italian vet. and a world authority on Newfoundlands has written in her book that she thinks dogs deserve a varied diet and she recommends most of the things you are giving Ollie.

Ms. Bruno's books are considered the definitive works (At least as far as Newfoundlands are concerned) so I would say if it's good enough for her dogs then it's good enough for mine and yours.

Dogs need variety, how would you like to have to eat the same boring stuff everyday BTW can you get chicken necks around your way, our two love them and turkey necks too
Good for Mrs Bruno, she sounds like my sort of vet!
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post

Straight from your manual no doubt? Disappointingly short though, I would have liked at least a page of knowledge pasted in.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 05:13 PM
True, but today wasn't the right day for me to be constructive. I am off work with a head full of cement and screaming sinuses! Ollie couldn't have picked a worse day to hurt himself really!
Sounds like you are both having a rough day. Hope you're feeling better soon. x
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Labman, what on earth do you think dogs lived off before dog food was invented? it was, believe it or not, "people" food...or at least, the bits of "people" food (leftovers/scraps) that the people didn't want to eat. Dogs are scavengers with the capability to consume all sorts of food. Doing as you suggest (keeping a dog on a cheap rubbish kibble for it's entire life) is far more likely to be of detriment to the dog than giving it variety. If you give a dog zero variety in it's diet, when it does consume something that is not it's regular dry food, that will likely result in the dog having diarrhea or even getting sick as the digestive system cannot cope with the change. On the other hand, dogs that are used to eating all sorts of foods rarely experience problems with eating something 'new'.
Absolutely! If they have just kibble they get diarrhoea even changing flavours within brands . They are much healthier eating a mixture of all sorts. They rarely get the squits at all.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
Sounds like you are both having a rough day. Hope you're feeling better soon. x
Cheers Hun, tomorrow will be better I'm sure!!
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »