Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-03-2010, 09:06 AM

Vets - very annoyed!

Bugzy fell off Beth's bed last night at 11pm, He yelped but then went in his cage so Beth thought he was ok
She brought him downstairs just after 12pm for a wee and as soon as she put him down he was screaming, and didn't want to walk. I picked him up and noticed straight away his neck was very swollen.

So I woke Pete up and asked him what he thought. He phoned our vets , who said over the phone ( bearing in mind he could hear the way Bugzy was screaming whilst on the phone) the vet said oh he cant have broke anything, just take him into the surgery at 8:30 in the morning.

So we've spent the night, with a very upset in pain dog, who couldn't get comfortable and in my eyes should have seen the vet in the night to get some pain relief!
( if one of my girls had injured themselves and i'd left them 8 and a half hours before taking them to A&E i'd be getting done for neglect!)

I took him in this morning at half eight, and saw the other vet ( the one I like and trust completely) and told him what had happened, and how i'd phoned in the night and what the other vet had said. He wasn't impressed that Bugzy was not treated last night, and he's given me pain relief for Bugzy as he's got a very badly swollen neck, Luckily nothing appears to be broken, but Poor Bugzy is very bruised and tender and looks very sorry for himself. He's not wanting to eat, or drink, doesn't want to move and is just laying there shaking and trembling..

The other vet has really really annoyed me. I didn't like him anyway, as when we had to have Ice PTS, it was him that did it, and when he checked to see if Ice had gone he poked him in the eyes!
Now I know vets have to check to see that a dog has drifted off to sleep, but Michael ( the nice vet) has always done it in such a fashion that it looks like he's stroking the dog and saying goodbye and you dont really notice how he checked the eyes at the same time..

It's a blooming good job that the other vet wasn't there this morning as i'd have given him a piece of my mind for leaving one of my dogs in pain and suffering all night!
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2010, 09:39 AM
That sounds like a horrible night for you and poor Bugzy, I don't think I would have let it rest with the first phone call, there is nothing worse than seeing your dog in pain. I would have been ringing back and demanding he see him before determining what Bugzy had or had not done.
At least Bugzy now has so has pain relief and will hopefully be on the mend and no permanent damage.
Would not be wanting to see the other vet for a long time as words need to be had with him and hopefully the vet you saw this morning will give him a good talking too
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Pleased to hear Bugzy has now got pain relief and seen by a nice vet.

I would of been annoyed and upset too I hope he is feeling better soon.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2010, 09:44 AM
OMG thats shocking, what a horrid vet, more so as he could hear the dog screaming,

Im so blessed with my vet thank god,

hope the poor wee thing is feeling better soon...big hug
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2010, 09:52 AM
He should have got off his a$$ and checked him over. It could have been more serious and the dog clearly needed some pain relief. You must have been really worried about him, poor little chap!

BTW my vet uses a stethoscope and listens for a heartbeat to check they have gone. Much better than a poke in the eye!
Findley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-03-2010, 10:04 AM
That is really bad that you were not seen last night with your dog. I hope that he will be better soon. To help his neck raise his food and water off the ground so he does not have to bend to reach it. I hope you made sure the other vet was aware that you were not happy about the night call. Write to the practice manager and complain.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Poor little soul. So glad nothing is broken tho.
What a stupid vet just totally lazy.
leopard_print
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Oh poor Bugzy! What a lazy horrible vet, thank goodness you were seen by a decent vet. I hope he gets better soon.

Why do there have to be bad apples everywhere?!?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
He should have got off his a$$ and checked him over. It could have been more serious and the dog clearly needed some pain relief. You must have been really worried about him, poor little chap!

BTW my vet uses a stethoscope and listens for a heartbeat to check they have gone. Much better than a poke in the eye
!
I think they do check for any brain response by checking the eye, often the last thing to go would be reflex reactions from the brain {there is a proper name for it but I have just started my second coffee so Im not with it }
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2010, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I think they do check for any brain response by checking the eye, often the last thing to go would be reflex reactions from the brain {there is a proper name for it but I have just started my second coffee so Im not with it }

Yes you are right, we do the same thing with people who are apparently unconscious to see if they are feigning it. We just gently touch their eye lashes and they can't help but react if they are conscious. But I have had 2 dogs pts in the last 5 years and the vets just kept listening for a heartbeat, whilst I was blubbing uncontrollably and holding the dog in my arms. Perhaps I was in the way!!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »