View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2006, 07:07 PM
I use Vitalin Puppy Plus kibble as training treats, she really likes them, I also use the puppy bones that I get from Pets At Home.

I also use the treats, not just for toilet training, but for when she obeys specific instructions, like 'sit' and 'down'.
squibber
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2006, 07:13 PM
Nips wouldn't get out of bed for kibble, let alone perform for it! He also gets fresh chicken as part of his everyday grub and isn't particularly food orientated so whatever you use has to be seriously tasty. For some reason this always means seriously smelly too!

I've never actually used rewards for housetraining since I've found that loads of praise works wonders. But I use different treats for different sorts of training so when I was whistle training him I used (and still use) chopped frankfurters.

For basic training of the "sit and stay" variety he responds well to cheese and, rather bizarrely, oranges.

He gets a tremendous amount of exercise and all the hours spent rabbitting mean that he runs off any extra calories so I'm lucky in that respect.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 07:48 AM
i use liver cake for training and they all love it, its great as i make 1 batch and it lasts for so long as it can be frozen.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by Zetacharlie View Post
My dog piled on weight using cheese, sausage and chicken as training rewards- also she had the runs. She now gets Coachies which I bought from PAH- from Company of Animals-Roger Mugfords set-up. They are only 1 calorie each and my dog LOVES them
I have bought these too zetacharlie. They are liver, poultry and beef treats i think! Georgie loves them too.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 10:01 AM
Some good advice here, thank you.

The only reason i use treats for toilet training is because georgie is still very young (9wks) so over the next week or 2 i will be decreasing the treat rewards for toilet training and giving him much more praise.

I have not tried him with cheese yet, his tummy is a little sensitive still as he is so young, but its worth a thought for when he is a bit older.
BustertheBeagle
New Member!
Male 

27-10-2006, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Small cubes of cheese are great as a training aid cause dogs love it.Another is cold sausage sliced thinly.
We use dog treats from the shop, Busters wind is bad enough without cheese as it is
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 11:56 AM
You could try Protrain treats- PAH has just started stocking them. They are especially for puppies and are dried heart/liver- they were right next to the Coachies when I noticed them last weekend. I bought some but alternate with Coachies as my JR is a bit sensitive to liver.PAH also sells additive /salt free doggie hot-dogs by Vitacraft called Dog Minis- my dog loves these too- small tins are only 99 pence each.I wouldnt feed human grade hot-dogs as they are full of salt and additives I like to rotate treats so my dog doesnt get tired of one type- then the treats are always attractive to them
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2006, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by teenytiny View Post
Do you use training rewards?

I use them only for toilet training and when Georgie stops biting as he's told to.

I don't use specific 'treats' though, i use kibbles of dried dog food. This is my way of rewarding him, and getting him to eat dried food at the same time as he wont eat it out of a bowl!
I used to use kibble for training and now that's the only way Poppy will eat it, she won't eat it out of a bowl or off a plate.

I used it for hand target training, so every time she touched my hand and then backed away, she'd get a treat thrown to her - part of the KC puppy foundation training. Now we have to throw each piece of kibble across the room for her to chase. Wish I'd never used the kibble as treats now. Should have stuck to pieces of chicken or ham.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2