View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2012, 11:13 PM
Cut the amount of the morning feed down so that he has a bit of an edge for food later in the day. We have a breed that would be predisposed to bloat and for that reason alone, feed twice a day
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2012, 06:08 AM
Mine are fed 2/3 times per day.

Having said that, they often dont get meals in a bowl. I do a lot of random scattering, kongs, buster cudes, hiding food in the garden etc
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-09-2012, 06:17 AM
Mine always have dry food there but rarely touch it.. In the afternoon, around 5 I'll give them their dry food mixed with veg and some meat and sometimes they eat it straight away and other times they don't touch it till after midnight.. it has been very hot though.. In the "winter" they'll eat more and earlier.. my older girl gets her one bowl around 4 and enjoys that.. doesn't eat the "pups" food which is there all day either..
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2012, 06:54 AM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I tend to feed a larger meal in the evening and something small in the morning. Shadow wasn't a big fan of breakfast and would often leave it. Rupert wasn't a big fan of food in general. Spencer would eat till he burst I think. He gets a small breakfast, training treats throughout the day and his main meal at night.
That sounds like the feeding regime I have with my lot.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2012, 07:05 AM
I think the dog dictates

Rosie has four meals a day. Two 'proper' meals and two snack meals. If I feed less, she's prone to be sick so it works well for her.

My old boy, Sam, ate one proper meal and would pick at the second. I could have dropped that second meal easily without problems, but Jade had two meals and enjoyed them so it was more for me that he had the second meal in that I felt a little 'guilty' if I didn't offer it
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2012, 07:26 AM
Two meals a day and then another small meal at 11pm. The only reason for the little meal last thing is to stop one of my dogs bringing yellow bile up during the night because his stomach is empty (works perfectly).
brandonleo
New Member!
Male 

19-09-2012, 12:19 PM
My dog is greedy, so if there's any time he eats less, that's good. I guess I'm only worried if he stops eating entirely. I'm currently feeding him 2 meals a day, and I've stopped counting the snacks given.
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2012, 12:28 PM
When I first had dogs, the advice in all the books at that time was that they only had one meal a day and that was what mine had. There was also the suggestion that they should have one day a week fasting (though I never did.)

It seemed to change over the years to two meals a day being more common, and that's what I give the adults - two more or less equal sized meals, morning and evening. The puppy started on four meals a day and is now on three.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2012, 12:49 PM
If I remember correctly, the Sherlys dog book said once a day too (way back in the late 80's)
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Unfortunately, it was a lot longer ago than the late 80s when I first had dogs!

Early 1960s actually (surely I can't be that old?)
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >