Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 02:16 PM

How to counteract white crumbly poop?

i apoligise if this is the wrong section not sure where to put it

my dogs get bones from the butcher as it gives xeva something to chew on (also a great treat) i have been lucky in that she has never chewed anything that isn't hers while at home, she destroys all the dog toys at mums but doesn't really do that here and i think this is because she has always had a bone down for her to go mad with, my problem is that every couple of weeks she goes through a white crumbly poop stage (which i know is to do with the bones) but how do i counteract it without having to take the bones away? its a nightmare to clean up
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 02:24 PM
See if the butcher will give you a few scraps of offal (liver, kidney, pancreas, etc. - though not heart). I feed raw and give offal with high bone content meals to counteract the effects of bone.
Alternatively, go for smaller bones or take it away halfway and pop in the freezer for next time so she's not ingesting so much bone in the first place.
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Just dont give her as many bones x
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
See if the butcher will give you a few scraps of offal (liver, kidney, pancreas, etc. - though not heart). I feed raw and give offal with high bone content meals to counteract the effects of bone.
Alternatively, go for smaller bones or take it away halfway and pop in the freezer for next time so she's not ingesting so much bone in the first place.
she gets liver as a training treat, should i give her more on the days she is really going mad with the bone? i do boil it though (the liver that is ) does that make any difference?

Originally Posted by Jem View Post
Just dont give her as many bones x
i only get 2 from the butcher, every few weeks 1 for each of them, but as i said i do leave them down for them to chew as and when they feel like it

thanks guys x
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 05:44 PM
was just going to say counter act with offal
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 05:58 PM
unless she is raw fed and/or used to offal i would not be 'counter acting' with it.

it could cause an upset tummy and be even harder to clear up

...why is it hard to clear up anyway?
black666
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-06-2011, 06:00 PM
I too would suggest some offal in the diet to help.

I have heard though that dog poop was naturally white due to the calcium intake in their diets as dogs are natural scavengers and are most prone to eating bones in the wild, it is supposidly all the add extras in dog foods that turn the dogs poop a brown colour, and the change in natural diet. No idea if this is true or not just something that was said one night at training, always found that statement to be interesting. lol Not very cluded up on raw feeding etc.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-06-2011, 06:03 PM
I thought white poo were a thing of the 70s and 80s...
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
unless she is raw fed and/or used to offal i would not be 'counter acting' with it.

it could cause an upset tummy and be even harder to clear up

...why is it hard to clear up anyway?
because it crumbles into tiny little bits that is difficult to get it all in a poo bag

she doesn't get anything raw except the bones from the butcher once iv defrosted them, the liver she gets as training treats is boiled up then dried off under the grill to stop it crumbling in my treat bag.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 01:15 PM
I'd add some raw meat, mince or offal into the diet on days you are feeding bones. You can then judge by the poop how much to give.

Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Why not heart? Mine are raw fed and regularly enjoy this rich meat.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >