Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2008, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I don`t understand why people get so passionate about a TV programme. What you get is a heavily edited presentation designed to show the dogs / owners in the worst light and the `Star` in the best. It`s a Reality show - like Wife Swap.
No trainer knows it all, although some may well be arrogant enough to say so. And there is no single solution when dealing with living creatures whose `language`we can`t comprehend.
The best person to train the dog is the person who lives with and cares for the dog - not someone parachuting in with a camera crew.
So no - I wouldn`t let any trainer who thought he was always right near my dogs.
I Agree....

I am very anti reality shows and these so called Talent shows (X factor/BGT etc) since I actually spent 2 days filming with one....it really opened my eyes and I will now never support them or even watch.....in the hope that if one day veiwing figures go down people will be forced to make half way decent TV!

I think that is the single biggest problem with DOg borstal/CM.....there is no way you can get a full in a 1/2hour - hour long show - ite very unrealistic and I hate the fact it gives people hope of an instant solution.
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-11-2008, 10:12 AM
My vote is yes.

What I'm curious about is whether those that like CM's methods would let a dog trainer that was strongly opposed to his approach near their dogs?

Do you find it offputting that some trainers see cruelty where you see excellent and kind training methods? Does their completely different interpretation of things make you doubt their suitability for working with your dog?

Or would you let any dog trainer work with your dogs?
Lunakitty321
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by scarter View Post
My vote is yes.

What I'm curious about is whether those that like CM's methods would let a dog trainer that was strongly opposed to his approach near their dogs?

Do you find it offputting that some trainers see cruelty where you see excellent and kind training methods? Does their completely different interpretation of things make you doubt their suitability for working with your dog?

I was once on that "other side" of the view, X and X mean that its cruelty. But after a 6 week course with Ami doing "positive only" training...all we go out of it is that the trainers thought we were idiotic college students who had no right to have purchased a puppy. My husky learned nothing from that class...and she is a spong and picks up almost anything, why couldn't they "talk" to her and get her to perform? We practiced and practice their methods for 5 weeks before we finally decided that what they were doing was not working, on the 6th week, they again were very rude to me and so my fiance took hold of my husky and my hand and marched us out of the facility. He said that they had no business treating me like that. Even though we had still paid for 3 more weeks, we stopped going there. Then we went to a different class, which used the check collar. I wasn't so sure about it, but after one class my puppy picked up everything she needed to learn, and quickly became the star of the class and was always used as the demonstration dog because she was always so quick to respond and understand exactly what she was supposed to do. (almost to an annoyance because she would complete lose focus when a trainer walked by because she loved to play with the new people...and they gave her cheese, were I only had her normal treats) For my dog, I needed to show her exactly what was right and exactly what was wrong...but not all dogs are like that. Some don't need to know what's wrong because they just figure out what’s right...mine will push every line until she knows what is acceptable and what is wrong.

I don't see any training method as bad, as long as it is consistent and the dog is responding. Not every method works for every dog, just like not every child learns the same way as the other children. If you are so stubborn that you can't see that other methods might work too, you might be stuck on square one for a very long time and then eventually make a little progress...but if you can make ten-folds of progress with something new, something different, then your dog or puppy might be given a much better quality of live a lot sooner. How? Well, if you are having trouble...say with recall...doing it one way, your dog is going to be on a leash for quite a while. But if another way works, then that is an extra few weeks, or months, that they can play off the leash with other dogs and enjoy a better quality of life. I fully think that every dog need to have off leash experiences in order to properly socialize with dogs and strangers, and if you can't do that because your training method is not working, then what kind of life are you providing your dog? A good leashed life, with freedom in the house?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2008, 03:14 PM
I think you should be comfortable with whoever is workling with your dogs.

People obviously find his methods acceptable and would quite happily allow that on thier dogs - thats fine - I personally wouldn't.

I have many people call me about classes and (even if they choose my classes) I suggest they go along and watch a class to make sure they are happy with people. There are a few classes in Cornwall I wouldn't go near - but they are still in business so people obviously find thier methods acceptable.

I went throught the check chain thing 20 years ago (I was 7 and that was they way things were taught), i have also been through squirty bottles, Rattle bottles, seen e-collars used - I am older and wiser now......
Dee Buzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-11-2008, 11:15 AM
No, altho if he could stop my pup killing chickens.............!
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by scarter View Post
I like CM but have worked with a trainer who totally hates him. The wierd thing was, she used exacly the same methods as him!!!!!!!!! This was a trainer at Dog's Trust.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Yes - as long as I was there the entire time with my dog and CM.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 07:23 PM
An absolute, unequivocal, resounding NO
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 07:52 PM
No I wouldn't even think about it.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran