Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2009, 07:54 PM

Ear Fear - advice please

Long story short -

*Asked new vets to look at ears as have been saying for ages to old vets that they aren't right (smelly and dark crust/wax).
*New vets said had very bad case of ear mites in both ears and cleaned them out for him, giving us drops. Had to muzzle as has fear of having them touched.
*Next day muzzled him and cleaned them, no probs but doesn't love it.
*That night he got a grass seed in right ear.
*Took to vets first thing who sedated him and removed it as it had barbed to the drum. Advised best to leave the drops now as may irritate after grass seed removal.
*Four days later took him back to vets for check up on mites and grass seed removal. Muzzled him but as soon as vet approached he went MENTAL!
*Vet said was best to leave it and gave Metacam for inflammation and advocate to put on in three weeks time. Was not happy as cost £65 for all this and we don't even know if he still has the mites!!

He let's me look in them but wont let anyone touch in them, so cleaning is impossible unless I muzzle him, but even then he is SO fearful.

What I need to know is am I doing him more harm by trying to clean them or should I just leave him alone completely for the next few doses of advocate at least? Also, I am certain the fear is because they have been so sore for such a long time so he doesn't want anyone touching them, but will this eventually go as they get better or do I need to muzzle him for the rest of his life?
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Poor Woody. Sore ears aren't nice
I think I'd take it very slowly with his ears. If he lets you look give him lots of praise and maybe a special treat. You could use the clicker if you wanted to. Try to make it a game. Quick look click and treat, Then sort of build it up from there.
I'd try not to do anything to his ears and be extra careful not to hurt them for a while. Unfortunately if you spot something wrong it would have to be dealt with.
Once he's happier with you handling him I'd ask the vet if you could bring him in sometime. Not for a proper examination, just a cuddle and a treat. Then he may get over the association of vets, ears and pain. Our vet is happy for dogs to come up at lunch time and go into the surgery for a sniff round and a treat from the nurse or receptionist. It doesn't cost but means they get used to going.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2009, 10:18 AM
THORNIT!
Becky
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2009, 10:36 AM
I use Stronghold for ear mites as it clears them without having to touch the ears. I don`t blame your dog for being afraid of the pain. My last GSD was the same. I could put drops in but she wouldn`t stand for an inspection. I think we`d have had to sedate if one had been needed at one point.
Then I found her problems were linked to feeding and allergies (no idea why!) When I changed her food to Burns and put her on Stronghold her ear problems, skin lesions, lack of energy and `hot-spots` we`d been wrestling with dramatically improved.
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2009, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
THORNIT!
Becky

Lol Becky,I have to completely agree

Poor Woody,Mine never liked drops in their ears,however since using Thornit they don't mind at all

Hope you get it sorted soon x
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2009, 12:16 PM
LOL @ Becky. My first thought was Thornit too. Do a search for it online Pidge - it is brill stuff (although I hate the smell!).

Poor Woody - I hope you get his ear problem sorted, as it must be really painful for him.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Thornit came to mind here too
macapaca
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-07-2009, 02:39 PM
Whats Thornit????
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by macapaca View Post
Whats Thornit????
A fantastic powder that can be used ni dogs ears (amongst other things)

Brilliant stuff
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2009, 02:53 PM
http://www.petmeds.co.uk/p-528-thorn...FU0B4wod12075A

Never used that site for it but will tell you about it
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >