Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
missy01
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-06-2010, 07:47 AM

Swollen face and vomiting

I noticed this morning that my CKC cross has a slightly swollen face, but didn't think much of it as it was 5.30 AM and I had dragged her out of bed for her walk, and ashe was very sleepy.
However my boyfriend just called my to say that she had been sick and her face looked puffy (he never notices things like this)
He is going home again at lunch and if no change I will leave work early to take her to the vets.
In the mean time does anyone kow what may be causing this? Could it be an insect bite or something more sinister?
Any comment much appreciated
Rachael
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 08:11 AM
Sounds like a reaction to something hun, maybe a wasp or a bee, vet will sort it out am sure

I would be wary of leaving her alone though, just in case it is a reaction and the swelling impedes her airways.. I would get to the vet asap if I was you.
good luck
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
Sounds like a reaction to something hun, maybe a wasp or a bee, vet will sort it out am sure

I would be wary of leaving her alone though, just in case it is a reaction and the swelling impedes her airways.. I would get to the vet asap if I was you.
good luck
Those are my thoughts too. Hope all is well
*Lorraine*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-06-2010, 08:15 AM
My girl had similar after eating peanut butter treats.
It sounds like an allergic reaction.
Best to stay with her, or even get her checked out, just to be on the safe side.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 08:20 AM
Allergic reaction IMO

I wouldn't leave her alone and I (well if it we're me) would get her to a vet asap, just to be on the safe side, allergic reactions to bee stings etc., can need to be seen to straight away incase it effects the breathing.

Hope she is ok soon
hopkinss12
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-06-2010, 08:28 AM
We had a similar problem twice with our choc lab, Heathcliff, the first time was only mild but two weeks later very severe .
He looked like he had gone 12 rounds with Mike Tyson. His face was severely swollen and his left eye was completely closed.

The vet confirmed that it was a severe allergic reaction, but to what was anyone's guess. The vet suggested an insect bite, or a tick, but I suspect it was some Cillit Bang floor cleaner, that I had used both days it happened.
The swelling came up very quickly, but the good news is that once he had had the antihistamine injection the swelling did go down fairly quickly, and he has made a complete recovery. It's hard to believe looking at the photo, but he is back to his normal handsome self.
However, at the time, he was very distressed, and I agree with elaineb, don't wait to see the vet. The other problem caused by the swelling was that because his skin was stretched so much, he developed very bad dermatitis around his eyes, which took longer to treat than the swelling.
Good luck.
missy01
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-06-2010, 08:33 AM
thank you all so much for your comments, the swelling on Missy seems to be more on her muzzle, rather than the face. However i am still going to get her checked put by a vet.
Dogs eh - who'd have em???
hopkinss12
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-06-2010, 07:04 AM
Hi missy01

How did you get on at the vets?
missy01
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-06-2010, 07:55 AM
it was weird, i got back from work and she was fine - no swelling and she was her usual wiggly self. Even ate all her dinner. Did notice a slight red mark on her chin, which I guess is where she was stung/bit. Working at home today so can keep an eye on her but all seems fine, she looks annoyed that I keep checking on her!
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 08:26 AM
good news then, glad it was nothing serious
x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >