Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TeganTW
New Member!
Female 

22-11-2010, 11:17 AM

1st season soon???

Hi

My malamute pup is now 4 1/2 months and has started moulting a lot more than previously, she also appears to be relentlessly hungry.

Could these be signs that she is about to have her 1st seaon?

Oh and she did try to hump my leg yesterday lol x

On average how long does a bitches seaon last? and will it vary depending on breed?

Tegan x
Luchi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Season generally lasts about 3 weeks give or take. First season on average arrives at 6 months, although some large breeds do not get their first season until much later.

My dog, who is a large breed had her first season at 6 months on the dot. and her second season when she was just over a year (just finished).

The main signs that I noticed with Luchia was peeing a lot more then usual, this was even before the discharge. Haven't really noticed a change in her appetite, but then she is always up for grub lol.

It definitely varies between dogs, even of the same breed.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 11:31 AM
I was about to ask a 'season' related question myself!

I assumed it might vary a bit with breed (as to when they have the first one).

My CKC Spaniel was 6 months to the day. My new little min pin started her first one a week or so ago when she was more than 9 months old.

My question was going to be when could I expect the worst of (or the heaviest) bleeding to stop?

Last week it was light spotting but this week much heavier with her swollen up.

Wouldn't be bothered at all as she is well - but my son will be flying out to visit me on Saturday - haven't seen him for a year and am wondering if he is going to be not only getting the undivided attention of this man mad dog, but will have her bleeding all over him too!
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Seems a little early to me - ask her breeder about her Mum and her first season and see if the pup they kept is showing similar signs.
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2010, 07:14 PM
my dog is in season at the moment and her appetite did increase a little (still is a little large).
The main things to notice is most bitches will try and be alone more or become more aggressive. The main thing i notice is her vulva moves up closer to her tail and swells as well as the surrounding area swells to - goes slightly pink too but i think that could be because my dog is always grooming at the moment as she is bleeding (that's not the fun part)
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Oh mines gone the opposite to more aggressive. She is snuggled up behind me right now. Usually sits near but not right next to me.

Peeing a bit more. Keeping herself nice and clean. But main change is she is LICKING everything - all the time she is awake - mostly me!

It's the first time I've ever lived all on my own with a new dog from day one. Surprising how much more I notice about her habits and any changes without the distraction of kids or having to go out to work and leave her. I suppose one factor is that she takes more notice of me because it's obvious I am talking to her if there is no one else here!

But she is a real attention seeking menace when I do speak to anyone else. Even on the phone or on the computer on Skype.
Dawn&Ronnie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-11-2010, 07:59 PM
lol i was gonna ask a season question too
Ronnie is 8 months will be 9 months on dec 2nd
she still hasnt had her season as yet.

what are the signs of a bitch coming into season obv i know about bleeding but are there any other signs?
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by Dawn&Ronnie View Post
lol i was gonna ask a season question too
Ronnie is 8 months will be 9 months on dec 2nd
she still hasnt had her season as yet.

what are the signs of a bitch coming into season obv i know about bleeding but are there any other signs?
behaviour - aggressive, distant, cuddly
Vulva will move closer to the anus and swell (surrounding area will also swell a little)
Bitch may begin cleaning the area up to a week before she begins to bleed

hopefully people can tell you more but this is what i go by with my bitch
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 08:15 PM
Interesting holly. With my last dog (KCK Spaniel) the first sign was obvious swelling up and her getting very fussy.

With this one, I noticed the behaviour change first - lots of washing herself and acting a bit different on walks. But her vulva didn't swell at all until she had been bleeding slightly for about 4 days. It's well swollen up now mind you! Totally out of proportion to her tiny frame!
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2010, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Interesting holly. With my last dog (KCK Spaniel) the first sign was obvious swelling up and her getting very fussy.

With this one, I noticed the behaviour change first - lots of washing herself and acting a bit different on walks. But her vulva didn't swell at all until she had been bleeding slightly for about 4 days. It's well swollen up now mind you! Totally out of proportion to her tiny frame!
aw just hope dogs dont notice!
my dog won't go out apart from the garden when she's in season feels horrible as she hasn't been walked fo nearly 2 weeks - if she wans to i'll take her but she gets too scared