Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 09:31 PM

Post OP advice

Possibly a silly question and hopefully in the right place.

My doglet Misty has had to have a mammary lump removed. The lump/op site is near the front more towards her chest on her underside.

I can see why she doesn't need a lampshade collar as head wise its not easily reachable however since shes come home she keeps scratching at it with her back legs and I'm worried she is going to do damage.

Can anyone suggest a way of stopping her from using her back legs to scratch at the wound?
Nimah
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-02-2010, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by angelmist View Post
Possibly a silly question and hopefully in the right place.

My doglet Misty has had to have a mammary lump removed. The lump/op site is near the front more towards her chest on her underside.

I can see why she doesn't need a lampshade collar as head wise its not easily reachable however since shes come home she keeps scratching at it with her back legs and I'm worried she is going to do damage.

Can anyone suggest a way of stopping her from using her back legs to scratch at the wound?
When the nurse discharged you did you not recieve any written information about post op care? perhaps have a look at these and see whether or not they contain any suggestions.

The best way is for you to interupt the scratching, have you tried noise shock technique paired with positive reinforcement?

You could drop your keys, shake a bottle with ice or rice in or use training discs if you have them to interupt the scratching process. The purpose of the noise is to shock and not punish in order to simply get her attention on you, then you could reward her for not scratching the area with a tasty treat, if she has been discharged today use a bit of chicken or rice, something plain as she would be still be processing the anaesthetic.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 10:00 PM
No I didn't recieve anything on post op care.

She does stop easily with distraction which is what I'm doing at the mo, just I worry incase I don't catch her doing it at any point (say during the night) though I've put her bed in my room to try prevent this too, its just such a worry.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by angelmist View Post
No I didn't recieve anything on post op care.

She does stop easily with distraction which is what I'm doing at the mo, just I worry incase I don't catch her doing it at any point (say during the night) though I've put her bed in my room to try prevent this too, its just such a worry.
poor girlie
you could try taping baby/toddler socks to her back feet,or popping a t-shirt on her?(overnight)
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
poor girlie
you could try taping baby/toddler socks to her back feet,or popping a t-shirt on her?(overnight)
Thanks.

Good idea, i'll pinch a pair of my little lads socks (im sure he wont mind) and give that a try.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-02-2010, 03:34 AM
Pad up the rear leg on the side the tumour was removed from with either a sock or heavy bandage, . . tape it securely with elastotape.

Nero had a small op on the side of his neck and I did this to prevent him scratching the wound open.

angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2010, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
Pad up the rear leg on the side the tumour was removed from with either a sock or heavy bandage, . . tape it securely with elastotape.

Nero had a small op on the side of his neck and I did this to prevent him scratching the wound open.

Aww bless. Thanks, i'll do that.