Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bretto
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-08-2007, 12:36 PM

pup an old boy on same dry stuff

ok i am realy good with my pup staffy diet , now his older and is learning to stay and sleep out side alot , it getz a bit hard with the through the day food IE, dry food , like the old boy , ( 12 yr old cattle sross ) is used to the chum rice an chicken etc . but the pup staffy , since being outside will just eat anything , but i want him to eat the right stuff!!!!!!!!!!!! but still learning , any advise ???
he is eating his puppy dry aswell as his puppy wet , but through the day when the pup wants the big boys dry food im not sure if it isgood 4 him .\

so the question is can my pup have the same dry food as my older dog ? witch is the chum chicken and rice
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2007, 06:25 PM
how old is the pup?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Hi Bretto I am not familiar with the food you mention but in general no your puppy should not be on the same food as an adult dog.

Think of it this way, the puppy is on a 'growth diet' he has a short period of time in which to 'grow 'an adult body so the food he gets needs to be fed a little and often and should be highly nutritious. The adult dog is on a 'maintenance diet' to keep his grown body fit .

I do not know how old your puppy is or how many meals you are feeding him, this is a rough guide..

Age 4-12weeks = 4 meals a day
Age 3-6 months = 3 meals a day
Age 6-12months = 2 meals a day
1 year onwards = 1 or 2 meals as preferred.

The quantities are the food manufacturers recommended daily allowance divided by the number of meals according to the puppy's age. It is best to feed the puppy and adult separately so you can monitor who eats what and don't leave food down all the time.
bretto
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-08-2007, 05:56 AM
thanks mini , for the advise
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2007, 07:04 AM
When I bred my first litter I kept one. From the day her last sibling left for his new home she refused to eat puppy food and went straight onto adult at 8 weeks. She grew normally and I never noticed any ill effects.
Becky