View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tye_Bo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-12-2008, 07:52 PM

Naughty Dog....and naughty OH for leaving them there...

We've just nipped to the inlaws to drop off FILs birthday card and in the 30 minutes we'd been gone, the dog has eaten 2 bags of chocolate gold coins. OH had left them in the hallway with some other (non edible) Christmas stuff to take to work tomorrow. I know chocolate can kill dogs - how much would he have to have eaten and what symptons do I need to look out for?
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 08:04 PM
I think that it's 1 ounce of chocolate consumed per pound of dog bodyweight in order to have serious problems. There will most likely be plenty of diahorrea, possible they'll be restless or hyper, twitching or wee a lot. large amounts of it can cause seizures. if they are only the little bags then i would just keep a very close eye on them, but you might want to take them to the vets anyway to be on the safe side.
OHs eh...
DalaiMama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-12-2008, 08:06 PM
We had a lurcher eat the best part of a box of Roses and she was ok, just the runs. Last year my friend's dog (staffie) ate half a box of black magic, this was more serious as she is a lot smaller and there is a higher concentration of the dangerous stuff in darker chocolate.

He said she was sick, then diahorrea, she was hyper and hot, panting and restless. Not sure what the vet did or if he even took her, but she was ok.

The chocolate coins are usually the kind with not much of the chemical in (sorry I cant remember what its called) and a dobie is a big dog so fingers crossed he will be ok.

Oh, and the lurcher ate the chocolate christmas decorations one year, despite them being high up on the tree, I will never know how she did it. No signs at all of illness, thank goodness. We never put them on the tree again.

Hope he is ok, maybe phone the vet for advice on what to watch out for?
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 08:09 PM
Last year Mo found the only Christmas present with choccies in and ate 3 or 4....... she was fine.
If you are worried then a phone call to the vet might be a good idea.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 08:17 PM
I heard that it is dark chocolate that is dangerous more so that milk. There is more cocoa in dark. I think that all will be well, might have a runny poo in the morning though.
Elaine xx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Hi J yes it is dark chocolate which contains a higher concentration of theobromine which can cause a problem in some dogs.

In the days before we learnt chocolate was dangerous to dogs one of mine ate 6 easter eggs

I would think the chocolate in the coins was milk chocolate, if you are worried ring the vet but in many instances dogs eat chocolate with no ill effects at all. This said is of course best to keep all chocolate away from dogs as much as possible.
Irish Setter Mu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-12-2008, 08:42 PM
My 3 managed to get their hands on approx. 18 chocolate mini rolls (left in a carrier bag on top of the cooker in the kitchen - my fault). Instigated by my youngest, Jenson, they devoured the lot (wrappers & all) and they are all here to tell the tale. I did keep a watchful eye for a few hours and debated about whether I should tell OH!
Tye_Bo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Thanks all. I'll keep a close eye on him!
Angel44
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-12-2008, 10:33 PM
Many years ago I had a little Miniature Dachsund who managed to get onto the dining room table and eat a whole box of dairy milk chocolates She was sick and had an upset tum, but was otherwise fine. Hope he's okay.
DalaiMama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-12-2008, 10:37 PM
I just remembered that our Spaniel used to go into the Off Licence and get given a Kit Kat, this was before anyone knew about chocolate. Again, its the milk kind and I don't think there is much actual chocolate in that stuff.

I have a pash for Green & Blacks but I keep it on top of the wardrobe, that stuff would be dangerous, its my rocket fuel when I need to get going.

Were they in net bags and did he eat those as well? My lurcher would have, sneaky dustbin on legs that one was.

Dogs, I dunno, sometimes wonder if they do these things on purpose to give us a fright!

Hope he is ok.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >