View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2007, 09:58 PM
I'd love to get a CC or BOB but had no idea you got freebies for it! So there you go - can't be that important!
Yeah, I'm happy with being placed, but I'd rather get placed as BOB and wouldn't care about a prize - just the fact that my dog had got BOB.

I couldn't care less really, the only pedigree I feed are the dentastix and that's only because they're longer to chew (and my dogs prefer them) than the others!
I was shocked recently when I suggested someone change their food to a higher quality 'brand' and explained that although expensive, he'd probably like the results - he said that pedigree cost him the same per month!

Of course I don't want to have to pay more as an exhibitor but I can't see the need for it to be honest - the prices they charge for ch shows at the moment aren't exactly scraping the floor!!
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

06-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by surannon View Post
Neither do I but the prizes for the principle winners are lovely - what am I going to do without my new showbag every year? And no new free toys for the dogs! No brollies, coolbags, suit carriers, space blankets, towels etc!

The main thing though is the lack of sponsorship for the Ch shows - the amount of money that Pedigree plough into the shows is mindboggling. The shows are going to be hit very hard unless one of the other food manufacturers comes up with a deal pretty quick. Unless that happens the shows are going to have to find ways of recouping the lost income - which may mean via the poor exhibitor...

Debs
Taking freebies out of the equation as you say the main thing is the lack of sponsorship and whether we like Pedigree Food or not it will be big blow to Dog Showing when they pull out, but hopefuly some other sponsor will take over, or else as you rightly say the shows which are expensive enough at the moment for the exhibitor ... are going to have to recoup this lost income and I can't see any other way but from the exhibitor. Much as I despise a lot of the dog food companies they have played a big part in keeping entry costs down .
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2007, 10:24 PM
We don't have pedigree sponsorship in Ireland but we do have a range of sponsors which vary from show to show. We also have "top dog, breeder etc" and in fact it is a dog paper that sponsors a lot of these. I am sure that Pedigree's ongoing sponsorship has prevented others from doing the same and now it may be more open with a range of sponsors as we have here, so a smaller investment for each.
If show societies want to cut entry fees, they should look at the cost of benching. I know one society which is heading for bankruptcy owing to greedy benching suppliers (and it's rough old stuff, too). In Ireland there is no benching and the average entry fee is around £12 equivalent for the first entry with £3 for subsequent dogs.
Food for thought. (no pun intended!)
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

06-08-2007, 10:39 PM
Hi Gill Have to say I for one would not miss the benching as my boys don't like to be benched and I would never leave them unattended on a bench and sometimes benching is so far away from the ring and I feel it is unnessary I am sure there are a lot of people who feel the same. I had not thought of this before but as you say greedy benching suppliers do add to the entry costs. So it is another consideration to cut entry fee costs.
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2007, 07:43 AM
I think a lot of people are missing the point and concentrating on the freebies I mentioned LOL. Pedigree has sponsored shows for forty years now - it's not just the prizes for the big winners. They do ALL the prize cards, ALL the bench and ring numbers, plus, as has been said, sponsor the year long competitions, not forgetting all the other things that a lot of people, judging by the comments here, obviously don't know about. I don't think many posters realise the amount of money that is piled into Ch shows from Pedigree on a regular basis. Of course there will be other other companies to take over but it'll get awfully fragmented. A lot of people (including myself) don't like their food but you can't deny the good the company has done for dog shows over the years.

Debs
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 08:10 AM
I would hope someone will take over the sponsorship - surely it is too good an opportunity for another company to miss out on?

The entry fees are quite high as it is so without sponsorship would hate to see them go up even more. Lets hope another company sees this as a great opportunity for them and steps in to take over the reins.
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2007, 08:14 AM
I really hope (I would imagine) it's just Pedigree and not the whole of the Mars company that's pulling sponsorship. If the latter was the case there'd be very few major dog food companies left to sponsor anything!

Debs
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 08:18 AM
I think that Pedigree has actually prevented a lot of smaller companies sponsoring shows and now they are pulling out the competition is now wide open and I'm pretty certain other companies will come in. Arden Grange sponsors the Sled Dog racing (I think I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) and maybe grooming suppliers will sponsor the shows of those breeds that require grooming and so on.
As has been said savings can be made and getting rid of benching will not be a great loss for me. When I was showing my Boxer I attended one of their big Boxer Champ Shows with benching and one dog paniced and ran off down the gangway complete with part of the bench attached scaring the dog that was running plus all the others on the surrounding benches.
As long as there is room for crates then I see no difference between a bench and each person bring their own crates.
Becky
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2007, 08:20 AM
I can't see any of the shows getting rid of the benching...

Debs
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 08:22 AM
When I enter a show I don't look to see if it's benched or not, makes no difference to me.
Becky
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >