Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
That's a good tip...one of my friends is stewarding for me so she'll be in big trouble if she makes me look daft

I have to say, I've been to a few companion shows over the years and chuckled to myself as the judge has tried to do the terrier trick as my dog has finished running, you know when they put their fingers in the air to get the dogs attention and then move them....well we don't do that with setters, not unless you want to get bounced on by an unruly dog who thinks you've got a sweetie for him
He he- seen a Malamute do that at an open show!!!! When we get all rounder judges that don't know EMDs they do that and it makes the dog's ears come forward, which they shouldn't. Dogs with rose ears like Rio's look really daft as they won't come forward and just stick out sideways. Does my head in!!!!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 03:12 PM
They are good fun, I think they are nicer than a lot of the open shows, and you always get lovely prizes too, you're lucky if you get a rosette at the other shows these days
wish we had more of them

Will the dogs still be moved?

I went to one (of our two a year) companion shows and half the dogs werent standing and none were asked to move, none 'gone over'......is this the norm for a companion show?
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 04:52 PM
That's a good tip...one of my friends is stewarding for me so she'll be in big trouble if she makes me look daft

I have to say, I've been to a few companion shows over the years and chuckled to myself as the judge has tried to do the terrier trick as my dog has finished running, you know when they put their fingers in the air to get the dogs attention and then move them....well we don't do that with setters, not unless you want to get bounced on by an unruly dog who thinks you've got a sweetie for him
Oh have had this happen at Open Shows - in particular last year had an american chap do this but took this a step further and tooted at them did it to all the gundog breeds he judged! - Connor thought he was absolutely mental and so refused to stop looking at him while running - if he comes back to judge again he won't be getting my entry.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
wish we had more of them

I went to one (of our two a year) companion shows and half the dogs werent standing and none were asked to move, none 'gone over'......is this the norm for a companion show?
I think it depends on the class really whether you need to go over or move.

Last year I was lucky enough to judge and the classes didn't really warrant going over and movement in all cases!

My favorite class was the sausage catching one - never seen such good catchers!
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 04:58 PM
I think you know what you are looking for with the setters and what you like

I loved judging the novelty at a show last year - lovely people and lovely weather Have a great time Sheree.

This year I got roped into organising one - which reminds me better get a meeting arranged now Crufts out the way and rope those volunteers back in
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
wish we had more of them

I won't expect all the dogs to be "standing" in the pedigree classes as those that are not shown normally won't be trained for it, nor will the handlers, but I will go over them, check their muscle tone and movement and will place them on what I consider to be the best overall...it won't matter to me whether they are show dogs or not, you can tell how good a dog is by getting your hands on it, a clever handler can disguise lots of things by the way they stack or move a dog

In the fun classes the won't be asked to move unless it is a class that specifically requires them to do so

Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
Oh have had this happen at Open Shows - in particular last year had an american chap do this but took this a step further and tooted at them did it to all the gundog breeds he judged! - Connor thought he was absolutely mental and so refused to stop looking at him while running - if he comes back to judge again he won't be getting my entry.
Poor Connor...it seems to be happening more and more, I see people on the judging lists that I've never heard of, look them up and they are owners/breeders of a totally different group. I suppose you have to give them the benefit but, like you, I wouldn't do it twice if unhappy the first time
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 06:38 PM
I don't expect them to stand but I do go over them and ask the owners to move them so I can check for lameness etc. Wouldnt penalise though if they didnt move them at the tight speed.
border pop
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
We went to a terrier show where the judge asked me to put Parker on a table! It was wobbling terribly and he didn't look very happy but I didn't like to say that Kerries aren't a breed you put on tables to judge!
So a knowlegable terrier judge then?......unless they had a bad back

I don't think i would be keen on checking teeth at a companion dog show. Alot of pet dogs resent having their mouths mauled with as they are not used to it...not worth being bitten for
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by border pop View Post
So a knowlegable terrier judge then?......unless they had a bad back

I don't think i would be keen on checking teeth at a companion dog show. Alot of pet dogs resent having their mouths mauled with as they are not used to it...not worth being bitten for
Yes-we had a "All about Dogs" day here near me In Norwich and Peter Purvis was judging a fun dog show and was bitten by one of the dogs It was a Westie cross JRT I think. He had to go to hospital as it bit him on the thumb quite badly and he needed stitches. He was very nice and played it down though.

At one show we went to (where Parker won Best in show incidentally!) the judge got bitten by a Bichon Frise. I think it was her "fault" though as the dog kept backing away as she tried to examine it so you could tell it wasn't happy and then it bit her. My Sister couldn't believe it as her Bichon is so soft and sweet!

Also know a lady who continually takes her Cairn X Yorkie to lots of dog shows despite it being very feisty and untrained. It tried to bite one judge and when I saw it again at a different show I did have a quiet word with the organisers of the show to warn the judge as I thought she probably would like to go away with the same number of fingers she came with! This dog has also cocked its leg over the owner when being walked round the ring! Shame really as she is so keen on showing-just needs to get a nicer dog (and I love Cairns).
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4