View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 11:14 AM

What does a judge look for in your breed?

I have another judging appointment coming up for a local companion show

I've not judged for a couple of years and, although you never really forget what you're looking for in a breed that is different to the one you own/show, there are an awful lot of breeds that are becoming popular that I haven't seen in the flesh, let alone gone over.

As I really want to do my best, and judge the dog on the day, can you all give me tips as to what the judge is looking at with your breed? I'm so lucky in that I'm doing the breed classes then the novelty classes too

There are things I know such as a Pug's mouth isn't inspected etc., and I realise it's only a fun show, but I want people to feel they have been given the same chance as everyone else

Photos would be good too

Many thanks
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-03-2011, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
I have another judging appointment coming up for a local companion show

I've not judged for a couple of years and, although you never really forget what you're looking for in a breed that is different to the one you own/show, there are an awful lot of breeds that are becoming popular that I haven't seen in the flesh, let alone gone over.

As I really want to do my best, and judge the dog on the day, can you all give me tips as to what the judge is looking at with your breed? I'm so lucky in that I'm doing the breed classes then the novelty classes too

There are things I know such as a Pug's mouth isn't inspected etc., and I realise it's only a fun show, but I want people to feel they have been given the same chance as everyone else

Photos would be good too

Many thanks
you many find this helpful Sheree, a good in depth breed standard of the Boxer.

http://www.merseysideboxer.com/Breed...edStandard.htm
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 11:44 AM
If you get a basenji it should look elegant but have substance, high on the leg, square in outline, moderate angulation, curled tail (doesn't have to be double curl) the coat when you run the hand against the lay should feel harsh rather than soft (not a good description really, it feels prickly) and of course the famous wrinkle when the ears are pricked. Not too long in the muzzle, and dark eyes.

White toes (at least) and tip of tail are a requirement, White patches on the body are a no no. Under no circumstances try to straighten the tail, it's a dead give away you don't know what you are doing! It should have a long swinging stride, which is sadly being lost, and move true.

Added: High set tail with a shelf and level top line

I hope this helps.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
you many find this helpful Sheree, a good in depth breed standard of the Boxer.

http://www.merseysideboxer.com/Breed...edStandard.htm
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
If you get a basenji it should look elegant but have substance, high on the leg, square in outline, moderate angulation, curled tail (doesn't have to be double curl) the coat when you run the hand against the lay should feel harsh rather than soft (not a good description really, it feels prickly) and of course the famous wrinkle when the ears are pricked. Not too long in the muzzle, and dark eyes.

White toes (at least) and tip of tail are a requirement, White patches on the body are a no no. Under no circumstances try to straighten the tail, it's a dead give away you don't know what you are doing! It should have a long swinging stride, which is sadly being lost, and move true.

Added: High set tail with a shelf and level top line

I hope this helps.
Thanks very much ladies...those tips will be very helpful, and it's nice to know even if I don't get any of those breeds to judge
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Thats nice Sheree,Hope you enjoy your day (i'd love to do that)

For beagles you'd want to see a compact,sturdy merry little hound that moves with purpose & drive and has good reach.Level topline,shoulders well laid back,Parallel fore and aft,Showing substance,Feet tight and firm.Expression soft & pleading,good pigment,ears set low and long enough to reach tip of nose,correct scissor bite.Tail carried gaily
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Very much doubt you will see any Kerries!

Best wishes for your judging appointment-hope you enjoy.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Which judge? In GSDs some seem to look for exactly the opposite of others. I'd say a good guide would be the dog who won the group this year at Crufts. Germanic but without exageration & very sound.
MarcusF
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Whoever's giving out CC's at the next show usually
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 06:27 PM
If you get a Border, it should be able to be "spanned" there is no height to the breed, but if you cant get your hands around it (unless you are quite small) its too big.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by MarcusF View Post
Whoever's giving out CC's at the next show usually
Was going to say most of them don't look down to the dog
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >