Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ndidi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2013, 09:29 AM

Stopping neighbours dogs barking

Hi
I have got a neighbour who has got 3 dogs which bark at all hours. She seems to think that she controls the barking but doesn't.
They bark when they are left as I am sure they have got seperation anxiety but I tried to mention this and help her when we got on but now we don't. I gave her a little Kong and a treat ball in hope it would help and tried to nudge her to get it sorted.
She also never walks them so they are bored.

Everytime I go outside in my garden they bark non stop until I go in again they also bark when I open my back door to let me dogs outside to go to the toliet.

They also bark at all time and will bark on and off for hours (ie bark then stop for 10 seconds then bark again). During most of the day and evening and sometme will bark during the night.

There is no hope of me talking to her or getting her to do anything to stop them barking. Also she is vendictive so it would back fire to complain about the noise and it would likely make my life more stressful and misareble.

So I was looking at ultrasonic anti barking devices as they look like they might work and get me some piece and quiet. The two I was looking at are
http://www.barkstop.co.uk/index.html
http://www.eurobarkcontrol.co.uk/a/s...#page=Main-Tab

Has anyone used them before and would they affect my dogs as I don't want to adversely affect my own dogs. I just want the neighbours dogs to be quiet.

Thanks for any advice any one can give me.

If anyone know of another way to get neighbours dogs to be quiet I would welcome advice. As long as it doesn't mean talking to or dealing with my neighbours as that isn't possible.

thanks

Ndidi
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2013, 09:39 AM
In the UK I believe 'barking dogs' constitutes a 'statutory nuisance' and you can report them to your local council.

Quite what they will do about it I don't know. But if it is affecting your life as much as you say and you are getting nowhere with their owner and she has stopped talking to you anyway - perhaps go down the official route.

I live where I am surrounded by barking dogs! After a while you stop 'hearing them' unless a new, strange one, joins in! Fortunately my dog does not respond by barking when she hears them. That would drive me nuts!

Here's a link to the UK Gov website for Resolving Neighbour Disputes. Barking dogs are covered there

https://www.gov.uk/how-to-resolve-ne...putes/overview
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2013, 09:54 AM
Every dog within range will be punished if you use one of then, the say they don't hurt the dog but they don't know that, they are not dogs.

I would report them, the Council cannot tell them who done it, it could be anyone. There may already be complaints about the barking and you will just be re-inforcing them. If your neighbour says anythink you just deny it.
ndidi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2013, 10:16 AM
She would blame me for reporting her that the problem where it is me or not. And she is the kind of person who would make my life hell. She also manipulates people into feeling sorry for her as she is disabled.

So I can't complain and I am not sure how to shut the dogs up without getting her involved.

Ndidi
ndidi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2013, 10:19 AM
Also I am not sure if she can be bothered to get do anything like train them.

She usually says it is because my dogs were in the garden, a bird was in a tree or my cats were sitting in my garden.

There is always an excuse and it is always someone elses problem.

She also scare me as she doesn't seem to be very mentally stable.

I don't want to hurt any dogs I just want quiet.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-08-2013, 10:27 AM
Well there probably is a reason her dogs bark, whether it be cats, birds or whatever and unless she does something about it they will continue to do it. I think the same applies to you, without being nasty, you want peace and quiet yet have come up with various excuses of why you can't do anything about it. If it really bothers you that much you need to make a complaint. Seriously what do you have to lose? You've already said she'll blame you and make you suffer even if the complaint comes from someone else, so it might as well be you who complains. Do nothing and nothing will change.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2013, 10:46 AM
I have a neighbour to the side and one at the end of my garden,they both have a dog each.They will occasionally bark,when Lacey is in the garden,usually a few minutes then it stops. Personally I couldn't tolerate dogs constantly barking like that,would drive me insane Agree with the others,you have a right to make a complaint.Recording the noise level during the day and night would also help your case I imagine.I pity those poor dogs,think I'd bark myself if I was never taken out,so sad
ndidi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Trouble
She has the police out here almost every other week and to be honest she scare me alot. I have got a thread in the registered members section on why were are no longer talking.

So as I said I can't report her as I live in a semi detached house on my own and my health isn't great. Also the stress of what went down before made me quite ill and scared to leave my house.
I don't want that to happen again so I am looking for another way although I am trying to keep a diary of when the dogs bark. Which the council say to do. They say they offer a warning, then fine, then evict the person but she hasn't got any money and it would take months of misery to try that. So I am looking for an alternative.
I am just trying to give you an idea of what she is like and why I haven't had any sucess being nice and offering advice.

So if anyone has any advice which isn't complain to the coucil I would be glad to hear it. Otherwise please pass by this thread.

many thanks

Ndidi
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2013, 11:38 AM
Hi Ndidi - sorry to hear about your problem, I have in the past found it extremely stessful to have troublesome neighbours and know just how you feel.

I guess the best and probably kindest thing you can do is somehow get the dogs to enjoy your company by throwing goodies over the fence but obviously when they're not barking. This will make them look forward to hearing your door but it might backfire in that it just increases their excitement levels when they hear you.

Sorry for your predicament

Originally Posted by ndidi View Post
Trouble
She has the police out here almost every other week and to be honest she scare me alot. I have got a thread in the registered members section on why were are no longer talking.

So as I said I can't report her as I live in a semi detached house on my own and my health isn't great. Also the stress of what went down before made me quite ill and scared to leave my house.
I don't want that to happen again so I am looking for another way although I am trying to keep a diary of when the dogs bark. Which the council say to do. They say they offer a warning, then fine, then evict the person but she hasn't got any money and it would take months of misery to try that. So I am looking for an alternative.
I am just trying to give you an idea of what she is like and why I haven't had any sucess being nice and offering advice.

So if anyone has any advice which isn't complain to the coucil I would be glad to hear it. Otherwise please pass by this thread.

many thanks

Ndidi
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2013, 12:28 PM
I agree with Baxter, if there's no way you can make contact via the legal route, then I'd try and get those dogs on my side somehow. Maybe talk to them through the fence when they start, in a nice, soft voice. I've had to learn to do that with my neighbour's dogs cos they're sometimes left outside unattended all day long and it drives me nuts the way they bark at everything I'm afraid sometimes I've had to shout at them, but it always shuts them up lol! I need to be able to get out of the side of my house if I want to without them barking at me, so it seemed the only way for me. Over the months, it has worked, they now ignore me when they see me coming and going cos I talk to them each time, so they know it's only me.

Good luck, must be a nightmare. Maybe try that neighbour's from hell website cos it seems to me like you're living next to one of those there.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >