Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2008, 11:35 AM

Does Mya have a problem? Advice please

Mya likes to chase Freddie in the field and unless she's carrying something in her mouth like a toy/stick/plastic bottle she jumps on his back and bites him, the noise is horrible Freddie likes to chase sticks etc and I always have to make sure Mya has something in her mouth, if she doesn't she will do this the whole time in the field.
She has done this from being little and I've used distraction by throwing a stick for Freddie and wiggling the plastic bottle or stick at Mya and then throwing that while Freddie is getting his stick.
Mya is fine when we are out with other dogs, and also fine when we are having a walk along the canal, she just seems to do this in the field.
What I have noticed is when she's playing with other dogs she likes to chase them, they are happy playing and she chases them then wrestle on the floor, Freddie's not interested in chasing, he'd rather have his stick. My theory is she's trying to get him to run so she can chase him?
Sorry long post...
What do you think?
Schapiro
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2008, 01:47 PM
How old is she? My 15 week old chesapeake does this too, to my 6 year old lab. The lab's not too fond of it, but I don't step in unless someone yelps-and unfortunately it's usually the Lab. He's very happy go lucky and doesn't like telling other dogs off, even when I take him to work (dog daycare) with me. I just let it go because he needs to learn to say "knock it off!" to the puppy.

Sorry I can't give you much advice =/ This is my first time having a puppy and a grown dog at the same time. I'm interested to see what others will say though.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Cassie used to do this all the time to Georgie, and he'd usually just turn his head the other way and try and ignore her, sometimes she kept on doing it, other times, she just ran on past him. I always left it up to Georgie to tell her off and one day he did, in no uncertain terms, she knew he meant business, and the look on her face when she looked at me was priceless! I will never forget it!!! It certainly taught her a lesson though, and from that day on, whenever she did it, she would always start off very gently, probably just to test what mood her was in! If he was ok with it, she'd get a bit more aggressive with it, but sometimes not, she always knew how far she could push it that one!!!

I don't have an answer for you I'm afraid, but hopefully Freddie will do the same as Georgie did and tell her off!
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2008, 03:17 PM
Thanks both.
She's 6 months old and always on the go. freddie is quite good in the house and he tells her when he's had enough esp if he's tired but when we are in the field he won't tell her. Fingers crossed he will one day, sounds like just what she needs!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2008, 04:17 PM
I'm wondering if part of the problem is that Freddie has his stick to run after and she doesn't have anything to do while he is doing this, nor does she have her own "playtoy" in the same way you interact with him.

I'm only guessing but do you think this might have something to do with it?

You could have her on a long line and harness ( so as to not damage her throat) and do lots of play training with her, this would help her focus on you and you could control her and it might mean that the fun of leaping on him would extinguish, although just once and it could start up again.

Just a few quick thoughts

Wys
x

Ps Didn't want to say, but, do you know about the dangers of sticks?
There's a website or web article about it somewhere...
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2008, 04:23 PM
She has her plastic bottle, stick or toy which I also throw for her so she's not left out that way, I'm also working on recall with them, calling them back and giving them a tasty treat so I don't feel she gets more attention than him. They both get called and get a treat.

I do pick sticks that are quite thick and not pointy and not long so they won't stick in the ground. But I know what you are saying, maybe I should stick to plastic bottles for them both. Can't throw a ball as Freddie has a real thing for them and runs off with them They also like me to throw grassy mud clumps which they chase
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Was also about to add Please Do Not Throw Sticks For Dogs - sticks kill
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2008, 04:45 PM
just been reading some info on stick injuries, I won't be throwing sticks anymore.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-03-2008, 04:55 PM
It sounds like two young dogs playfighting to me. Rio and Syd do this all the time too, especially in the field. I throw their ball on a rope for them in the field, which they can share as one holds the ball and one holds the rope. I've also taught them to "leave it and walk on" just by periodically stopping them in mid play and physically seperating them if necessary. I trained them to stop on command simply because I like to always be in control, it seems to intimidate other dog walkers and parents of small children. The noise can be horrendous although my 2 don't make much noise these days. They will no doubt grow out of it eventually but Syd's 3 and Rio is 2 so it's probably not going to be anytime soon. Do they do it at home as well ? mine did and it's actually easier to control there than in the field and you can then progress to controlling it anywhere you see fit.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2008, 06:41 PM
my beardie used to do the same.

Helena 54 told me to put her back on her lead EVERY time she did it.

this, after about 2 months has worked i also tell her to 'leave him' if she runs towards him and she turns on a sixpence and heads back towards me every time now.

i now enjoy my walks with both dogs knowing one of them is not going to be harrassed.

thanks helena 54
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >