Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2007, 03:01 PM

can dogs eat potatoes?

my old friend used to give her gsd raw potatoes to eat??

we mainly want to know as we were going to give pup a mini roast dinner on crimbo day? just some chicken/roast potatoe & a mini sausage wrapped in bacon for breaki!!

no stuffing as it has onions in it!

thanks!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-12-2007, 03:05 PM
I hope they can, as it has been part of Jakes dinner from the last 8yrs. Though they were boiled and not raw.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2007, 03:12 PM
hiya thanks! i know this was like 8 years ago he used to eat raw pots!!

were def going to cook them though!!!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2007, 03:27 PM
How have I missed this, I've not had as much time on Dogsey recently, you have a puppy! So pleased for you! Enjoy your first Christmas together. x

As far as I understand it, potatoes are fine for dogs as long as they are cooked and as long as they are not green. For a long time I thought that potatoes were a big no no for dogs .... and then I discovered Dogsey!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2007, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
How have I missed this, I've not had as much time on Dogsey recently, you have a puppy! So pleased for you! Enjoy your first Christams together. x

As far as I understand it, potatoes are fine for dogs as long as they are cooked and as long as they are not green. For a long time I thought that potatoes were a big no no for dogs .... and then I discovered Dogsey!
MINE TOO HAVE POTATOES COOKED, THEY ALSO ENJOY SWEET POTATOES.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2007, 03:33 PM
oh yeah potaoes are fine cooked.... china managed to snaffle a raw chunk once when it fell off the counter but she threw it up in the early morning....
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Now I may be wrong on this, BUT, I did hear that RAW potatoes are highly toxic to dogs???? Somebody's dog got hold of some potato peelings and it got very, very ill in my area and that's how I found this out. Now I know some people might say, oh well, my dog eats raw spuds, but then some dogs also eat chocolate which again is poisonous!

I am always giving my dog COOKED potato, usually mashed up with his food and he loves them, and after all, you can buy specific dried foods which are salmon and potato and capelin and potato, so I'm sure cooked is safe, no doubts about that one!
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2007, 04:12 PM
I read some where you should'nt feed too much potato, anything from the night shade family of veg should be limited.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2007, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
How have I missed this, I've not had as much time on Dogsey recently, you have a puppy! So pleased for you! Enjoy your first Christmas together. x

aww thank you!!!

thanks ok, we dont normally give him potatoe, never have, jsut thought it might be a nice crimbo treat!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2007, 04:17 PM
and why not, he'll love it!! The reason you can't feed too much is because of the bloat issue with it I think?! I know myself when I've eaten too much of it and I get all bloated out!!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >