Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 09:24 AM

Calling all Hound owners

After reading another thread I just wondered -

Does anyone have a hound with 100% recall?

Is it possible with good training or will there always be the odd occasion when they 'go deaf'?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 09:51 AM
A hound with 100% recall is a contradiction in terms! They do what they`ve been bred for extremely well though.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

14-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Couldn't have put it better C and D.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Percy has 100% recall.........50% of the time
Becky
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

14-03-2008, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Becky
That did make me laugh Becky - sounds a lot like Faun and Brodie
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 12:03 PM
Dingo has got excellent recall so long as he stops sniffing and keeps his eyes and ears shut. If he doesn't do this, he's heading for the hills after all the fluffy bunnies. Now chasing rabbits, he's 100% at that!!
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-03-2008, 12:11 PM
Actually I do! (she says - hoping she's not going to proved wrong any time soon! )

My young Pharaoh Hound bitch 'Leela' is extremely people orientated and she's the only one I've ever had who doesn't go off hunting. I even let her off in space around showgrounds and she doesn't ever bother other dogs. She IS an exception I hasten to add. But she's been brilliant for training the Grand to come back. Last summer I was walking them all (apart from the Grand because he was too young to go that far) and four deer ran across the path in front of me. I had my older Pharaoh on a flexi at that point (she's going a bit ga-ga bless her) and the two Collies were off lead as was Leela. The Collies ignore everything apart from their toys and I told Leela to 'stand' (the only thing she's ever been taught to do Well, she did just that! Just stood and watched them cross the path not 30 feet away then carried on trotting down the path.

If I'd had her from a young puppy I could maybe understand it but she's an import from Sweden so I didn't have her until she was 10 months old. Before that she was never trained to a recall. She came from a home where the 'garden' was 3 acres of woodland and all the dogs just did what they liked.

Debs
tova
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by Fliggle View Post
Dingo has got excellent recall so long as he stops sniffing and keeps his eyes and ears shut. If he doesn't do this, he's heading for the hills after all the fluffy bunnies. Now chasing rabbits, he's 100% at that!!
NOW THAT MADE ME SMILE

Originally Posted by surannon View Post
Actually I do! (she says - hoping she's not going to proved wrong any time soon! )

My young Pharaoh Hound bitch 'Leela' is extremely people orientated and she's the only one I've ever had who doesn't go off hunting. I even let her off in space around showgrounds and she doesn't ever bother other dogs. She IS an exception I hasten to add. But she's been brilliant for training the Grand to come back. Last summer I was walking them all (apart from the Grand because he was too young to go that far) and four deer ran across the path in front of me. I had my older Pharaoh on a flexi at that point (she's going a bit ga-ga bless her) and the two Collies were off lead as was Leela. The Collies ignore everything apart from their toys and I told Leela to 'stand' (the only thing she's ever been taught to do Well, she did just that! Just stood and watched them cross the path not 30 feet away then carried on trotting down the path.

If I'd had her from a young puppy I could maybe understand it but she's an import from Sweden so I didn't have her until she was 10 months old. Before that she was never trained to a recall. She came from a home where the 'garden' was 3 acres of woodland and all the dogs just did what they liked.

Debs
That's impressive Debs!
My Greyhound has a 90% recall I would say most of the time. And she will also stop when told. This will apply most times where people are around.
If there are other dogs her percentage drops to around 70% !
Now if there is a rabbit or a hare I'm afraid I have no chance. I just have to wait until the chase is over and she comes trotting back, tongue lolling happily.
I'm sure many herding and gundog owners will be horrified and I certainly don't set out to let her worry the local wildlife- my eyes are always scanning the far horizon.I can promise you that no amount of chicken, cheese or sausage will make her stop. My previous Greyhounds were just the same.
I have no such trouble with the Vallhunds but as far as Alice is concerned once the legs are engaged the ears switch off!
tova
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Becky
I've believe I've just submitted a great big long post that says just this!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Think to those who love hounds it is their independence and self sufficiency that appeals to us, so if they became well trained pets or show dogs we would not have what we paid for i.e. a bloody minded bundle of fun that thinks it always know best.

My dogs will obey me but always in their own time, bit like men really.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >