Our sister sites
Squirley
New Member!
Female 

30-01-2008, 12:08 PM

house training

hello new here

never done this before,i am dyslexic please excuse spelling mistakes

I have a lurcher cross staff how is 8 month old,For the first 16 weeks off his life he was locked in a cage ,lying in his own pee and eating his own poo which he still does.

he can be lying sleeping and just does a pee and lies there,i can let him out all day/take him walks he will do his business when out ,within minutes of being back in the house he does the toilet AGAIN

Sometimes he will let me know he wants out other times he just goes and does the toilet ,he knows he has done wrong .
he also does the toilet in his own bed

tryed everything i am at my wits end i know he is still in puppy stage but one day he is good next day he is peeing everywhere

please help
SQUIRLEY
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2008, 01:11 PM
Hi there.

Sorry to hear that you're having problems.
Normally dogs learn pretty quickly as they like being clean, but I'm guessing that with your dog's previous history, he's had to over-ride that as he didn't have any choice.

I'm sure he will get there, but it is going to take a lot of patience on your side.

Peeing in his bed without moving may be a result of his previous treatment, but it may also be a problem with his bladder (e.g. he doesn't realise he's peeing). So if you haven't already, I would get him checkd by the vet.

If it isn't a medical problem, I would suggest that you:

Wash all his bedding and anywhere else in the house he has peed/pooed with a biological washing powder - there may still be scent which encourages him to continue going in these places.

During the day take him outside every hour and stay outside with him until he pees. As soon as he does, give him lots of praise. This will help him to understand that this is what you want him to do. (if he likes being outside, don't bring him straight back in once he's been or he will start to associate having a pee/poo with having to go back inside).

Because you say he pees in his sleep, if it's been over an hour since he's been out, I would wake him up (by calling him, don't physically force him out of his bed) and take him out.

Inside, try to watch him as much as possible, if he shows signs that he is about to go, rush him into the garden and again praise him when he pees out there.

If he is having accidents overnight, try not to leave him too long...take him out very last thing at night and get up early in the morning to let him out (even if you go back to bed afterwards). It may also be necessary for you to get up during the night to let him out.

I know this is a lot of work, but if you can stick to this, I'm sure he will crack it.

Finally, one last thing, if he does have an accident in the house, don't tell him off, just clean it up. If he gets told off, particularly when not caught in the act, he will just become stressed and you will find it even harder to train him.

There is a useful article on house training under the articles section on Dogsey - have a read of that too.

Good luck, do let us know how you get on with him.
Squirley
New Member!
Female 

07-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Hi
my 8 month old puppy is driving me up the wall he has a new hobby digging up my hall carpet not to eat it but to destroy it.
i leave him in the house for half an hr a day that`s all i know you shoud not leave the dog in the house on it own.

I am looking for some top tips in how to stop him digging up my carpets please help.
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2008, 12:58 PM
It sounds like he's possibly bored or distressed at being left - does he have the free run of your house when you are out? If so, I'd recommend maybe crate training, or baby-gating him into a particular room/area when you cannot supervise him.

When my pup came home, aged 10 weeks, we began building up how much time she was alone for, starting with literally ten minutes, and over time she has become quite happy to be left for several hours. The important thing was building it up gradually, so that she knew we would come back and hadn't abandoned her. It's well and good to say "do not leave dogs alone" but to my mind, it is a necessary part of training. What happens if you/your partner has an accident and you have to go to A&E in a hurry?
Do you rotate his toys? We have a box of dog toys, and let the dogs have a couple at a time. When they start to become bored of them and the toys are abandoned, we change them for "new" ones, which are (of course!) far more exciting! It might be worth trying this and giving your dog a "new" toy when you need to go out - it is something that will keep him occupied for a while.

The other thing, which some people may or may not agree with, is letting him have access to part of your garden if you have one. My mum's JRT used to dig in the house, and was permitted to fulfill this urge outside by 24/7 access to a dog door which led out into a fenced off area of garden that he was allowed to dig in and didn't go to close to the actual perimeter of the property so that he couldn't dig his way out. Having 24/7 access to the garden also helped with his toilet training.
Fortunately, our dogs are not particularly diggers, but we have an extra large dog door to allow them access to our yard at all times. However, I know some people are wary of being broken into via these petflaps.

In terms of protecting your carpets, does he dig at a corner or edge, or does he create a hole in the middle of the carpet? If it's at the edge, I think there are little doohickies (technical term, that ) that hold the edges of the carpet down and protect them, thus preventing the dog from getting his claws under the edge.

Hope you manage to put a stop to it!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Hi there.

(it is best if you have a different question to the original one to post a new thread with a different title - some people who may be able to help with this topic might not read one about house training.) Perhaps a mod could move it please?

it isn't realistic to never leave your dog alone and personally I don't think half an hour for a pup his age is unreasonable, but it would have been better to work up to it gradually.

When you are in the house, is the pup always in the same room with you? If so, it would be sensible to start having short periods during the day when he is seperated from you, though at first it isn't a bad idea if he can hear you.

Crate training is a good way of leaving your pup in a safe environment. Although he's a wee bit older than suggested in the attached article, as long as you are patient and never use it as a punishment, I'm sure he will soon learn to love his crate.

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=15552

Do you have a kong? (type of toy which is quite robost and can be stuffed with treats/food). If so, stuff one with something tasty and give it to him just before you go out. If not, something else that is tasty and longer lasting (e.g. a raw bone) would also be good.

Don't make a big fuss of him when you leave, nor immediately when you come back.

One other thought - when you say 'digging' at the carpet, does it look like he is just scatching it or is he chewing too? If just scratching, it is possible that he is just trying to make a bed, many dogs scratch like that before lying down. Again a crate will help because he will be 'making' his bed in their. But if you do decide not to get a crate, it may be worth moving his bed to the area where he is scratching (if this is feasible).

PS - would like to know how you are getting on with his house training
Squirley
New Member!
Female 

10-02-2008, 09:46 AM
Hello
the house training is getting better,
when i got my puppy i had to buy a crate, his old owner left him in the crate at all times never got out and when i went to see him i just couldnnt leave him in that situation so i brought him home and we have worked very
hard with him and it is paying off .
you see a dog that is much happier.
we will get there with all of the advice that people are giving me so thank you all very much.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Sounds like he has a much better home now. Good luck to you both, I'm sure with patience you'll there
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-02-2008, 12:55 AM
Hali has given you some excellent advice and I would like to add a couple of things.

Firstly, he does actually try to show you he needs to go out and he will 'go' outside so you do have a start which is promising.

Secondly, never ever punish him for doing it in the wrong place. A damaged dog craves attention and attention includes being smacked/shouted at/having his nose rubbed in it etc. So it doesnt work, it just reinforces the idea that he gets attention when doing it wrong. The best way to deal with errors is to ignore him completely, no touching, eye contact or talking to him and then praise him for the successes,

The fact that he pees himself in his sleep does suggest a medical problem. I should get a vet to check him out,

Good luck - please persevere.

Thalice-Malice
English Setter who is beyond perseverance !!
Squirley
New Member!
Female 

16-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Hi

I never punish my dog never have and never will.
i have never rubbed his nose in his own pee or poo.
the vet had a pee sample and it came back nothing wrone .
she said it is because he is a lazy dog and still a puppy and to bee pashent with him because of his past.
thanks for all the grate help.
Squirley
New Member!
Female 

15-03-2008, 10:53 AM
how can i keep my dog quiet in the house when i am out.
one neighbour down the stair is complaining about when i leave my dog in for 15 minutes when i am trying to teach him that i all ways come back.
please help