Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 08:17 PM

Tips for training a puppy 2 Stay.'

Heya,

As my thread title indicates I want to teach Jess to stay.

She is great with commands and has mastered many but this one is a little tricky 4 her.

Being a puppy she is constantly over excited so in training sessions teaching 'stay' isnt easy.

Any advice on how I can achieve this?

I would love my hubby to come back from holiday to a pleasent suprise, a Jess who will stay on command!

kye xxx
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 08:22 PM
The way we did this with Nudge was to have her sit then use the comand word "stay" and step back just one step.
If she moved she was told "no" and put back to try again. It took a few goes but once you can get a stay for a few seconds just one step away then you can start to build up the distance and time. Of course rewards are a huge help, we are told to rewards with a treat as soon as you get the result you want at first.

Good luck
x
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-11-2006, 08:33 PM
Yup exactly the same as I done for Jake. At first he was rewarded with treats and praise and eventually just praise and the occational treat. Just take a small step at a time and you'll get there
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Thanks guys I will try this approach when she wakes up...

It would be so nice to suprise my other half if she can catch on as quickly as she did with sit and everything...

I will let you know how she gets on!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 10:53 PM
Hi, I changed my methods slightly a few years ago after attending a brilliant training day with Anne Bussey

I basically reward the dog with very high value food whilst actually in the stay, and calmly release. Always start with no distractions, (so in the house first) and gradually introduce them.

Start small and build up, don't be afraid to go back a step if the dog breaks the stay. Basically make it very rewarding for her to be in the Stay, and more boring if she breaks it.

When rewarding with food in the Stay, you have to get the knack of giving the reward so that the dog doesn't stretch and move forwards and lose balance or get up; so you keep the food close to you and only move the hand out at the last minute.

Good luck!