Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tom
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-09-2005, 10:35 AM

Default video player

Hello,

On my computer i have recently downloaded Quicktime and use it to play video's ..... But my mum downloaded it and she cannot make it become the default player my mum send videos often and wanted to send them in Quicktime format but it won't let her.... However my computer is on broadband and her computer is on dial-up is this a cause of the problem ???

Any idea's ??

Thank you Tom
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2005, 10:50 AM
Tom this might help, it tells you how to choose what application to open a file with, so you could choose to open all your video files with quicktime.

To change the program that opens a file
Open My Documents.
If the file you want is not located in My Documents or its subfolders, use Search to find it. To open Search, click Start, and then click Search.

Right-click the file you want to open in a different program, and then click Properties.
On the General tab, click Change.
Click the name of the program in which you want the file to open.
Notes

To open My Documents, click Start, and then click My Documents.
This change affects all files that have the same file name extension as the file you selected. For example, if you change the program that opens a .jpg file, all .jpg files will open in this program.
You can also change the program that opens a file by right-clicking the file, clicking Open With, and then clicking the program name. If the program you want is not displayed, click Browse.
Related Topics
Tom
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-09-2005, 10:52 AM
Aggh that works on my computer but when mum does it on her laptop it still opens in media player ...

When you goto the properties it says it is opening with Quicktime but when you click on it to open it, it opens in media player But thank you anyway
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-09-2005, 10:59 AM
What happens if your mum opens Quicktime and then use it to locate a suitable media file, does it play. Once open, I'm sure that there are options in Quicktime which allows you to set certain filetypes which will use Quicktime as the default player.

If it is Windows XP or 2000, she might have restricted user rights (if say it is a company laptop), which may prevent changes to certain settings.
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2005, 11:00 AM
Ok Tom, sorry I couldn't help, have you tried reinstalling it? Sometimes that irons out problems.

I'm afraid I'm not very techie though but one of the others will probably have an idea.
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-09-2005, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by Tom 1 :-)
Aggh that works on my computer but when mum does it on her laptop it still opens in media player ...

When you goto the properties it says it is opening with Quicktime but when you click on it to open it, it opens in media player But thank you anyway
then uninstall both of them and install again make the primary player which you want if it doesen`t do it the way Het sugested
Tom
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-09-2005, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by Het
Ok Tom, sorry I couldn't help, have you tried reinstalling it? Sometimes that irons out problems.

I'm afraid I'm not very techie though but one of the others will probably have an idea.
It's ok we will work it out thank you
Tom
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-09-2005, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by royv
What happens if your mum opens Quicktime and then use it to locate a suitable media file, does it play. Once open, I'm sure that there are options in Quicktime which allows you to set certain filetypes which will use Quicktime as the default player.

If it is Windows XP or 2000, she might have restricted user rights (if say it is a company laptop), which may prevent changes to certain settings.
It is Xp and it is not a company computer it is one we bought and it will open once in Quicktime but next time we open it, it opens in Windows media player
Tom
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-09-2005, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by Fred
then uninstall both of them and install again make the primary player which you want if it doesen`t do it the way Het sugested
Thank you Fred will do that now il install the broadband on mums computer
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-09-2005, 11:24 AM
If you open up Windows Media player and then goto Tools and select Options, you should see a tab called "File Types". Click on that and deselect all the ones you don't want Windows Media player to play. Once complete click OK and exit Windows Media player.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >