Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2011, 05:09 PM

Video of bloating dog ...

I hope it's OK to post this, from Youtube. It is educational and I have just seen it via a friend .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1WrT2719yo&ould

All very self explanatory - the Akita is bloating and bringing up thick salivary strands.

Not too nice to watch, but useful; and by the way, the dog is saved!

Wys
x
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Why are they watching and videoing a dog they know is bloating, instead of taking it to the vet,
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-11-2011, 05:23 PM
I know I should watch it just so i know what to look out for god forbid anything happened to Oz and Snoop ,.
But i really can not bring myself to look at it ...
samson13
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Perhaps they were unaware of how serious it was and were videoing to give the vets evidence of the symptoms !
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2011, 05:31 PM
From the description of the video.
This video shows a dog in the middle to late middle stages of bloat. This dog, Roscoe, was saved. He had just arrived in a new home. The weather was warm but not hot, actually quite pleasant as this video was being filmed. Neither the person who brought the dog to this foster home nor the foster home had ever seen bloat and had no idea of what they were seeing. As soon as they realized something was wrong, he was rushed to the emergency vet
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Thanks Wys.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2011, 05:37 PM
No probs, it's good to share info like this. Descriptions are all well and good, but actually seeing it and seeing what a distended stomach etc looks like is very useful.

Yes, sorry all - I should have said that the dog was new to its home and the fosterers had no idea what was wrong with it, thanks Sarah

Wys
x
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
No probs, it's good to share info like this. Descriptions are all well and good, but actually seeing it and seeing what a distended stomach etc looks like is very useful.

Yes, sorry all - I should have said that the dog was new to its home and the fosterers had no idea what was wrong with it, thanks Sarah

Wys

x
Hi Wys,

What causes this? Never experienced it..... Poor Dog
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by Deb/Pugglepup View Post
Hi Wys,

It's basically a build up of gases which can end up with the stomach twisted so that the blood supply is cut off. I had a friend with a wonderful GSD who died from this, it's so sad. He was quite young too.

I don't know if there is any really good up to date info as to why it is caused, there have been various thoughts. Exercise just after eating is one. Sometimes it is "cause unknown"

This site gives some basic info:
http://www.peteducation.com/article....2+1571&aid=402

http://www.akitarescue.com/Bloat.htm

I've only Googled quickly so not sure how good the sites are .

Wys
x
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-11-2011, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by Deb/Pugglepup View Post
Hi Wys,

Can't bring myself to watch the video, but bloat often has a contributory stress factor, in this case a new home.

I have seen bloat twice with one of my own dogs, thankfully she survived both, with surgery.

The second one required removal of the spleen as it ruptured due to trapped blood from the twist during the operation

One thing I would caution everyone though is, although it is helpful to have an idea what it can look like, mine didn't have stringy saliva or the classic presentation of an obviously distended stomach I would have expected from descriptions I had heard, as hers expanded up, inconspicuously, behind the ribs where she had lots of space.

She did however evidence shock (it is a very painful condition)- eyes intermittently rolling back in her head, pale gums, poor capillary refill, slow pulse, plus retching without producing anything so don't please don't automatically dismiss the possibility of bloat and torsion just because they don't have a stomach obviously like a balloon.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >