Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 09:59 PM

Must be a youngster!

Why is it that everyone initial enquiry and homecheck I have done recently insists on wanting a young dog (under a year old)?

I really wish people would be a little more open-minded on the age of dog they are looking for and see what benefits an older dog can bring.

Do others in rescue struggle to find homes for their older residents (and those older than 1 or 2 years old)?
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 06:37 AM
I'm in the KC rescue book as NESSR's rep in yorkshire and the amount of phonecalls i get asking "have you any puppies" is amazing.

We don't actually do too bad with the oldies, they can take a bit longer to find homes for, but homes are found eventually, but yes you're right most want a young dog.

I had a 6 month old bitch in just after christmas and had about 30 applications for her, made me feel a bit ill actually as we had so many lovely dogs looking and she could only go to one home
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 07:28 AM
Thats a shame Kirsty, the older ones bring so much joy.

Our 4th hopefully will be a oldie
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 07:56 AM
I love older dogs! If I'm going to get a puppy, it will be from a breeder. Puppies are SO much work and I want to be certain its coming from healthy lines and will grow up to be a nice dog. I always rescue adult dogs, that way you pretty much already know what you have and what you will have to deal with, those traits are already there. I adopted Moxie as approximately a year old, I adopted my last dog at 8 years. He was such a joy I'd love to have an oldie again.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 08:13 AM
People think that an older dog is set in his/her ways and that they won't ever truly feel that they are their dog or that they will be able to completely trust them.

I think its not until you've actually had an older rescue, or know people with them, that you realise that this doesn't have to be the case.

My preferred age is between 3-6 years old. I have taken older and may do so again in the future, but didn't want to do so when we got Stumpy as the pain of losing Kip was still too fresh.

I hope you can change people's minds Kirsty x
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the replies, and I am sad that it seems to be common for all rescues.

Hali - thank goodness for people like you My next dog is going to be an oldie too.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Thanks for the replies, and I am sad that it seems to be common for all rescues.

Hali - thank goodness for people like you My next dog is going to be an oldie too.
thanks but its common sense as far as I'm concerned -

the upsides:
  • past the chewing stage
  • past the needle-sharp puppy teeth stage
  • past the teenage tantrum stage
  • good control of bladder so even if not house trained they are quick to learn
  • happy to settle in the house after a good walk
  • seem to be really appreciative of their new home

Downsides:
  • they might not be with you as long as a younger dog
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
thanks but its common sense as far as I'm concerned -

the upsides:
  • past the chewing stage
  • past the needle-sharp puppy teeth stage
  • past the teenage tantrum stage
  • good control of bladder so even if not house trained they are quick to learn
  • happy to settle in the house after a good walk
  • seem to be really appreciative of their new home

Downsides:
  • they might not be with you as long as a younger dog
That is so true! I think every rescue site should run those pros and cons, just to make people think twice.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
That is so true! I think every rescue site should run those pros and cons, just to make people think twice.
Along with the motto "you CAN teach an old dog new tricks"...that's another misconception that i think puts people off.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 08:58 AM
I don`t see the attraction of very young dogs - all the kevin stage and bouncyness. Especially when fitting into an existing `pack`. With a grown dog wysiwyg and it`s nice to work with them and see them blossom.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »