Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 03:53 AM

Peeing puppy..

Yes I am up at 4am, rudely awaken by Gemma, who again has peed herself in her sleep while being lay by me in bed.

Its been happening on and off for a couple of months, but I thought we were well and turely past it now!

When we bought Gemma she was so clean and would last ages through the night without the need to pee, but a couple months later she started to pee in her sleep, then wake up and frantically try and clean it up. Iv also seen her wake up from a nap, stretch and a flood of pee pours out, which suprises her and she again tries to quickly clean herself up.

I really dont believe shes doing it intentionally because as I say she does it while shes asleep.

Shes about 6months old now so surely she shouldnt be doing this?!

Its getting beyond a joke now and really upsetting me.

Any ideas?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 04:15 AM
Morning you have my sympathies as we had all this with one of ours but I took a wee sample up to the vets and in her case it was an infection.

I think if I was you I would take the route of ruling out that first.
If when she is stretching she wee's I'd ask the vet what he/she thought about that too. As you say it doesn't sound like she is aware of what she is doing. If there is no infection I was thinking that maybe she still has muscles that have not full control yet,
Hope all goes well and its just a overfull bladder
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 04:21 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Morning you have my sympathies as we had all this with one of ours but I took a wee sample up to the vets and in her case it was an infection.

I think if I was you I would take the route of ruling out that first.
If when she is stretching she wee's I'd ask the vet what he/she thought about that too. As you say it doesn't sound like she is aware of what she is doing. If there is no infection I was thinking that maybe she still has muscles that have not full control yet,
Hope all goes well and its just a overfull bladder
Hi
This was my thoughts initially, maybe will her muscles get stronger perhaps after her first season?

I always make sure she has a wee before bed, say at about 11pm, and no water after that, so really she shouldnt have a full bladder by 2/3/4am :S

Also, because it doesnt happen all the time, I wondered if it could be an infection? I guesed if it was an infection it wouldnt stop then start again, but continue until the infection is treated? Maybe Im wrong...its too early for my poor brain to funcion properly lol

Thanks for your help x
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 04:38 AM
Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
Hi
This was my thoughts initially, maybe will her muscles get stronger perhaps after her first season?

I always make sure she has a wee before bed, say at about 11pm, and no water after that, so really she shouldnt have a full bladder by 2/3/4am :S

Also, because it doesnt happen all the time, I wondered if it could be an infection? I guesed if it was an infection it wouldnt stop then start again, but continue until the infection is treated? Maybe Im wrong...its too early for my poor brain to funcion properly lol

Thanks for your help x
Well Tess was periodically which made me think WHY!!!!!
I was the same as you. frustrated as she would go periods of not then it would start up again, the vet checked and said it was a mild infection, so treated for 7 days and she has stopped....fingers xxxx
I did think about season (in Gemma's case) but even if she isn;t drinking alot it could be poor muscle control or a weak bladder.

I know its hard to figure out (having been there ) but at least if you rule out the obvious then you can then start to re-think of possible new solutions, it maybe if nothing is wrong you might have to start from scratch on training, but I have known 6 month olds to do this and regress backwards so its not uncommon......not that that is alot of consolation at this time in the morning
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 04:54 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Well Tess was periodically which made me think WHY!!!!!
I was the same as you. frustrated as she would go periods of not then it would start up again, the vet checked and said it was a mild infection, so treated for 7 days and she has stopped....fingers xxxx
I did think about season (in Gemma's case) but even if she isn;t drinking alot it could be poor muscle control or a weak bladder.

I know its hard to figure out (having been there ) but at least if you rule out the obvious then you can then start to re-think of possible new solutions, it maybe if nothing is wrong you might have to start from scratch on training, but I have known 6 month olds to do this and regress backwards so its not uncommon......not that that is alot of consolation at this time in the morning

I think my best bet is a trip to the vets then. Hopfully it will be something simple to treat and will spare me these horrible early mornings lol.
Thanks so much for your help YS, its nice to know its not just our bad luck lol. x
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 05:01 AM
Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
I think my best bet is a trip to the vets then. Hopfully it will be something simple to treat and will spare me these horrible early mornings lol.
Thanks so much for your help YS, its nice to know its not just our bad luck lol. x
Your very welcome, Im sure things will slot into place and this will all be a distant memory chin up hun xxxx
heidi1998
New Member!
Female 

30-04-2011, 09:28 PM
yes my dog used to do that too ( allthough she was 7) and we took her to the vet and she hade an infection ( heidi was peeing almost everyday, everywere mostly at night and in the afternoon)

so i think your dog may have an infection or cause as you said that she was only 6 monthes she might have forgotten potty trining or she might not have learned yet but i would still go to the vet and make sure.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 09:30 PM
Is she spayed?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 01:34 PM
asbo used to do this, his would be near enough every night. so i started crating him and he would sleep right through from 10 till half 7.

now he can come in the bed as he has no problem with holding it in, he stayed in his crate every night for a couple of months and now is fine. after the infection has been ruled out, i honestly would crate her until it gets under control, helped me wonders. i got sick of waking up at 4 oclock every morning because he kept weeing. good luck.