Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tom
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-08-2005, 03:20 PM

Broadband

Can anyone give me any advise about broadband provider please ???
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-08-2005, 05:08 PM
I use ntl cable and can honestly say their service is great! Initially on my old laptop i had problems installing the BB drivers,but i phoned them and they took me through the procedure step by step.Mine costs me £9.99 per month,but this was a deal they had going at the time.

Go to www.ntlworld.com/broadband and see if its available in your area.
lollippy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-08-2005, 05:24 PM
According to August additon of Which magazine, the consumer asscociations magazine, NTL came bottom with only 19% of people satisifed, that was from a survey of 1,883 people, pretty revealing figure from a relatively large survey.

Tiscali, BT,and AOL were in the bottom 5, BT only managing 34%.

Best was Metronet with 91% customer satisfacion, although a bit expensive and only has a pay as you go service, followed by Freedom2surf and Zen net.

My own ISP Plusnet/Force came in at 71% satisfaction.

NTL got a don't buy mark against it.

The Isps with a best buy mark were,

Metronet

Freedom 2 surf

Zen internet

Nildram

Waitrose

Eclipse

Plusnet

Force 9
The survey looked at all aspects of ISP's including cusomer service and technical suport.
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-08-2005, 05:25 PM
There are basically two routes you can go - either via cable (NTL/Telewest) or ADSL. ADSL is provided via BT lines, so between Cable and BT, the country "should" be covered.

However, not all BT exchanges are ADSL enabled at the moment.

To see if your BT Exchange is BT enabled, see

http://www.bt.com/broadband/bb_info.jsp

and enter your postcode/telephone no. into the "checker".

I'm currently with NTL too, but their service can be flakey at times - sometimes it goes off for most of a day.

Have a look at:

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.shtml

for ISP reviews or

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

for ADSL reviews.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2005, 06:03 PM
We have just gone with Wanadoo broadband and it is fantastic We were with Freeserve (who changed their name to Wanadoo about 12 months since) already on dialup and never had any real problems with them.

The only thing I didn't like about them was when I had to phone them for some technical support and got a lady that didn't speak very good english and I couldn't understand her properly, that was rather annoying, but so far we have never had a problem with their service.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-08-2005, 06:13 PM
We have been with NTL for over a year now (had dial up from them for 3 years before that and no problems there) No problem whatsoever and it has only been down once in that year and that was just for 1 hour
bobbie3917
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2005, 07:01 PM
i know most ppl say they hate it but im wil AOL
i have never had a problem with it if there is a problem its normale my end and not there's there help line is very good (would be better if they had english ppl but...) but in the next few months there free help line is going to be an 0847 number
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2005, 07:34 PM
Yes I have aol too, and find there online service very helpfull, never had to make a phone call as I have always found the answer online.
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2005, 08:20 PM
I have broadband through Wanadoo, and have never (touching wood) had a problem. Any questions I have had have been answered by a very extensive and easy to understand help site on their homepage. Very pleased with it!!Also got a free subscription to MusicBrigade with it, which is a huge music video site, excellent!
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2005, 08:33 PM
I'm with Telewest Broadband, underground cables rather than overhead telephone lines, I'm on the 4MB service, only twice in the 3 years I've been with them has it ever gone down and it's very quick at being repaired.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >