Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2012, 01:48 PM

Chicks

I have chicks

I have 9 old english pheasant fowl eggs in the incubator, due to hatch today and have got 2 so far with others pipping. Lovely looking chicks.

Helen
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Have got 5 now but lost a couple. There are 2 still pipping so fingers crossed.

We have had a major problem with the Brinsea brooder that we bought last year, and used on some older chicks. We got back after a day out and all the chicks were chilled, with one being particularly bad. Felt under the brooder and it was cool so put up a heat lamp, which seems to be doing the trick. Did a quick google and asked on a poultry board, and there seems to be a problem with that particular brooder so have contacted them. Just glad that we set it up this morning because I'm not sure they would ahve made it with overnight temps

Helen
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2012, 04:29 PM

Helen
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2012, 04:36 PM
How good is that....... congratulations xxxxxxx
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Oh my How cute are they? I'd love some chicks, but couldn't 'do the necessary' with any males, and our neighbours would have a fit if we kept any cockerels lol. More pics please
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Will take some more tomorrow. They are looking pretty good at the moment, so I think we have got the temperature sorted, which I'm relieved about.

Oh my How cute are they? I'd love some chicks, but couldn't 'do the necessary' with any males, and our neighbours would have a fit if we kept any cockerels lol. More pics please
Very sensible but I think the lure of having chickies would push me into it lol. We either cull or try and sell them but there are a lot of cockerels out there so usually end up culling and eating.

We also have some turkey eggs in the incubator, as well as some speckled sussex so looking forward to hatching those. My next lot will be some runner ducks as I love ducklings, they are just sooo cute!

Helen
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-04-2012, 05:22 PM
I would adore having some ducks, but hubby has drawn the line at those lol, and after the latest happenings, I don't think I would be happy either.

Have you done a course on culling your males? I have heard there are such things to attend, and wonder whether that may help me get over my aversion?
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2012, 05:32 PM
TBH, OH does it but I have helped him and would feel happy to do it myself. The first time I assisted with a cull was turkeys the other Christmas. That was a steep learning curve, as they are BIG birds. I did get a great deal of satisfaction though, knowing they had a really good life; probably better than a lot of turkeys on people's plates.

Just did a quick google and found a course for £15, so might be worth doing something like that as hatching chicks is really good. Alternatively, you could always get someone else to cull for you - but find that person before you hatch.

I love having ducks and have got runner ducks. The only poultry I don't like are geese, although cute as goslings, I am not a big fan when they grow up.

Helen