View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-04-2007, 03:08 PM

New Law Requiring Dogs to be restrained in Car ?

Anyone heard of this new law? My husband was told about it by a fellow dog walker this morning about a law that has been in power since April. After speaking to a few other dog owners, who have heard of this law as well, does anyone know where I can find out more info on it, or does anyone on here know anything about it ? One friend did think it might in the new Animal Welfare Act, I've tried doing a search on Dogsey to see if anyone else has mentioned this before but the search wont work me at the mo ()

It would make sense and it makes me feel a lot better knowing I've ordered a cage for my car for them. But just curious to see how the powers at be would enforce this ? Would it be an on the spot fine or something ?
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-04-2007, 03:29 PM
Yeah, I heard this at the beginning of the year...makes sense I suppose
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2007, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by Willow View Post
Anyone heard of this new law? My husband was told about it by a fellow dog walker this morning about a law that has been in power since April. After speaking to a few other dog owners, who have heard of this law as well, does anyone know where I can find out more info on it, or does anyone on here know anything about it ? One friend did think it might in the new Animal Welfare Act, I've tried doing a search on Dogsey to see if anyone else has mentioned this before but the search wont work me at the mo ()

It would make sense and it makes me feel a lot better knowing I've ordered a cage for my car for them. But just curious to see how the powers at be would enforce this ? Would it be an on the spot fine or something ?
The Animal Welfare Act does not have new laws in it regarding traveling with dogs in cars or other vehicles, the Highway Code covers all aspects of transport & this is the only reference to dogs in vehicles

43: When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you if you stop quickly.
There is EU legislation regarding the transport of Circus animals etc & Livestock, but this does not refer to domestic pets The Kennel club has confirmation from DEFRA
bonio
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-04-2007, 09:14 PM
I had also heard about that rumour too. I looked it up when I first got Lucy (she has a car harness anyway) out of interest and found its not true. Its recommended but not law. Rospa do have a pet transporting safety leaflet online and there are other articles on sites such as West Mercias Police Authority that dont actually say its law but kind of imply it.

I would have thought even though not actually law if a dog started jumping around it could cause a person to be driving without due care and attention.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

28-04-2007, 08:39 AM
Bonio - Sounds like the EU are trying to get some standardisation across all members. In Czechland it is not specifically mentioned, but driving safely implies that anything that can distract you while driving should be prevented. Having live animals, or even kids, unrestrained, is an example.
I think we've got around the problem by getting a people carrier and taking out the midle row of seats. The front row have high backs so our dogs can not get to us, 'tho they do sometimes lick the back of my neck, wonder if that counts as a distraction
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2007, 09:18 AM
Hiya Willow

I did a quick Google and not much came up which I found odd - however there is this, a paragraph on this site, but not much info about it!

http://www.ropemakers.com/harness.asp

Not much help!!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2007, 09:32 AM
I have submitted a question to the AA as they have a legal question section regarding travel. i will let you know their response when it comes.
bonio
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-04-2007, 05:49 PM
Its not only the issue of causing an accident it if your involved in one. A dog in the back of the car can weigh incredible amounts as it thrown forward in a sudden stop. As it says on the RoSPA leaflet:

At 30 mph, for example, a 50lb (22.5 kg) border collie would be thrown forward with a force equivalent to almost nine 12 stone men.